Complete France Forum

adobe flash player and aol adverts

Is anyone else having problems with aol and their dynamic/video adverts which tend to appear on the right hand side of the welcome screen. Of late when these adverts appear they seem not to load properly and just keep looping. When this happens it seems either impossible or very difficult to access web sites. The system just seems to hang.

We have adobe flash player 9 installed but not the latest version which seems impossible to download. Investigation on the web (when we can get on) shows several French forum sites and American sites indicating the same problem, ie problems in downloading the latest flash player. We run aol 7 as aol 9 just will not run properly and are still without broadband here. Any comments anyone and yes I know many don't like aol!............Jackie and John

I think your last sentence says it all, but anyway.  You say you're not on broadband, by which I assume you mean ADSL and are still using dial-up.  If this is the case, it is not surprising the dynamic ads don't load correctly as the carry quite a lot of data and over a dial-up line that means packet loss and re-send which just screws the whole thing up.  Since it's AOL I suppose you 'have' to use the AOL flavour of IE7 (or even IE6?) I haven't used the AOL version of a browser for years but if it is anything like what the rest of the world uses the there should be an option to block pop-ups.  This should make the connection more reliable and get rid of the irritating ads at the same time!

Archived