Complete France Forum

AOL+Neuf+4 months?

Finally got through to AOL to complain about my lousy connection and because the server says it cannot cope with my demand nearly permanently plus it takes 5 or 6 goes to log on each time taking 3 or 4 minutes...

They told me I should change to Orange for an ISP as AOL was/is being taken over by Neuf and would be unavailable soon. Is this true?

I live more than 8 kilometers from the exchange the test sites say I can get ADSL but I recently tried with Neuf and they said OK and sent me a box of tricks and two weeks later asked for it back saying ADSL was not possible.

OK I live in a forest kilometers from nowhere but surely I can get something better than a dial up that doesn't very often. Help?

Could Orange help - I cannot get through to them on the phone as they seem permanently engaged and if I do will they support Mac?

At more than 8 Km from the exchange you won't get ADSL of any flavour.  It's just too far.  7 Km is the maximum and can well be much less due to the quality of the line - sorry but that's physics.

What type of machine you have is irrelevant to your web connection, you can use PC/MAC/Abacus - whatever.  And anyway, MACs now use the same Intel processer and motherboard chipsets as PC's so there is no difference at all - I know MAC users will get upset about that last point but it's true.

[quote user="Dog"]They told me I should change to Orange for an ISP as AOL was/is being taken over by Neuf and would be unavailable soon. Is this true? [/quote]

This is true - AOL France has been bought by Neuf who are also in the process of buying Club Internet.

None of this will help your quest for adsl though... as Pierre said

Danny

Thanks for your replies.

I finally contacted Orange who said I could not have ADSL at the moment. I explained that I was 8k from the exchange and he said that the exchange was being upgraded within a month or so and that I would then be able to have a 1 Gigabite service and he would phone me when it was available? I do not believe in fairies though he spoke like one.

Is he telling the truth - how - what?

PS When I asked if AOL had been bought by Neuf he said not that he knew and that he read the trade press daily???

We were told next year.................3 years ago, finally got Neuf adsl (aol) in May, and I do not want to gloat but..........its fantastic..........bored with it now and find I spend my time replying and reading this forum. Mind you there are really great people here. Interesting and helpful. (that should do it)[6]

[quote user="Dog"]I explained that I was 8k from the exchange and he said that the exchange was being upgraded within a month or so and that I would then be able to have a 1 Gigabite service[/quote]You're right not to believe in fairies, 8km is 8km and whatever they do to the exchange (short of moving it closer to you of course or putting in a new substation along the way) it will do nothing to improve your situation. Sorry.

Also note that it is physically impossible run 1gb over a copper telephone wire so even if such a speed were available at the exchange to give you that they would have to run a fibre optic cable from it direct to your door, is that likely, I think not !

Finally, and unless someone else knows otherwise, I'm not aware of anybody this side of S Korea and Japan offering anything like a 1gb service anyway. I think even in the teaming French metropolii it tops out at 24mb.

Archived