Complete France Forum

Hi. I have recently de-installed Norton as it was really slowing down my computer.  I used the Norton removal tool as I'd heard that Norton was very difficult to get rid of.  However the compter is still a bit 'sticky' so I did a search using the words Norton and Symantec.  This shows that I am still holding Norton files, but when I try to delete them a message comes up - 'cannot read from source file or disc, unable to delete'.  Any ideas anyone?

As I posted earlier, this wreteched Symantec Norton thingy caused total havoc on my machine and we had to get in a boffin to come and sort it out for us as we are useless!   Said boffin then installed AVG and another one called Spybot - both free I might add - and they have been excellent.   Can't help with the techy stuff, just a bit of onward advice!  [geek]

The removal of Norton has to be done in the right order. What you are probably doing is trying to remove one of the 'ancillary' progams rather than the core Norton.  Sorry I don't have time to look at the mo' but if you Google for 'Norton Removal' you will find lots of help.  I'll try and have a look when I can.

Zone Alarm is an extremely good, and free, firewall   downloadable from the net. Used with the programs already mentioned you stand a good chance of remaining free of nasties.

If you are brave you can use the regedit program in Windows to get rid of  any Norton references in the registry.

You can get regedit running by clicking on the Start button, Run and type in regedit.

Use the find function to find the Norton references and just delete them.

HOWEVER, make sure you back up the registry first. (Export function)  Personally, I think you should do this if using any registry tool as a messed up registry can render the machine inoperable.

Ive used regedit on numerous occasions to get rid of stray references to deleted programs.without any problems but please be careful with it.

Brian

Archived