Complete France Forum

telephone and internet connection

Gwin

it is easiest to have a phone number/line before you can find out what is available.  What is available depends on the location of your house. There is a possiblity to get broadband in English from http://www.teleconnect.fr/Pages/Internet/Internet.aspx if your line is suitable. It is not possible to use teleconnect without having FT line rental. If you want to stop the FT line, it might be possible with other companies but not in English.

Danny

What is the broadband in English thing? I have broadband and it is not in any language. I just open the web browser and look at the sites that I want to. All my emails are in English as are the posts on this forum.

[quote user="Bob T"]What is the broadband in English thing? I have broadband and it is not in any language. I just open the web browser and look at the sites that I want to. All my emails are in English as are the posts on this forum.
[/quote]

Bob, The broadband in English thing is an adsl subscription, ordered and set up in English with English speakers on the telephone and a website in English in case of assistance. If your broadband is from Orange, then your contract and communications with them will all be in French. That is fine unless you need to speak or write to them and don't have good enough French. Of course there is no technical difference.

Danny

Hi Jane and Danny,

Presumably you are Teleconnect users in France. I am moving in 7 weeks time and I have had all the details from Teleconnect. Are they as good as they or you reckon they are? I know I can get ADSL in the village where I shall be living, just need to notify them of the phone number before I go. It all sounds suspiciously easy to me. I am with sky.com at present but for obvious reasons I have to cancel that. Having said that, it was the easiest set up I have ever had, shame I can't take it with me!!

cheers   roseysan

Roseysan

I am with Alice and so far so good. Free customer care and tech support calls - big plus!! ( in French of course, Bob, by the way)

Can't give an opinion on the Teleconnect service but there are lots of others who I am sure will post their experiences, good or bad

Danny

have just read the terms and conditions -i had to put the reading specs on!! - and it seems that there is a charge for activating the scheme (30 euros) and a charge for cancelling the service when you might go away to england for instance (45 euros) and then a charge for reactivation after suspension (25 euros)

to my mind (not counting the first activating charge) that adds up to three months service while we are not using the service. we intend to be in france for six months continuously each year - may to november -and are looking for a service which will only charge us for six months each year.

not sure this is the right choice! am waiting for their reply to my e mail at the moment.

will report any interesting reply.

It not really economic for either the customer of the supplier to keep starting and stopping broadband.

One complication that you overlooked is that unless you get their modem back to Teleconnect, and prove it!,  they will charge you 160 Euros for the non return of the box.

Unless you must have really fast ADSL we find the best solution is Neuf Telecom at roughly 20Euros per month for 512K.

If you want something faster you could sign up for Alice at 35 Euros per month including calls and (up to) 8mg ADSL for a minimum 12 mth contact. You could then have 6 months unpaid every two years.

Personally it can be so much trouble getting a stable ADSL service that I wouldn't want to mess around with it, not to mention parcelling up modems........

Archived