Complete France Forum

Im a numpty and need a computer whiz kid to help

Not sure when but I have lost the option to copy DVD's.  I can copy Cd's and play DVD's, I can copy my photo's on to a memory stick, but not to another blank RW DVD.  I do not know how to get this option back.  Yes I am a women and yes I am a numpty when it comes to computers but I have exhausted all my options.

I followed a link from this forum and managed to do all the updates from microsoft but the option it still not there.

I am guessing now, but could it be when I updated the office XP Professional service pack 3.  The only reason I think it is this is it could not downlaod the whole thing.  I get a message to say 'on  a network resourse that is unavailable.  Needs an alternate path to a folder containing Proplus.msi  Now this is double dutch to me and a stab in the dark,.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours trying to solve the problem but only managed to update everything and its dog - much to the amuzement of my hubby.

Has anyone else lost the option to copy a DVD. 

I work as voluntary for a small organisation and need to copy photo's on to a blank DVD.

Can any one shed some light on my computer problems. 

Sunshine,

Is you problem making copies of an existing DVD?  If so…..

You should have DVD recording software on your PC, like Nero or Sonic RecordNow?  If so, when you put the DVD into your PC a window should open asking what you want to do – eg Play (using whatever program), open folder using Windows Explorer etc.  One of the options I get is “Copy Disc using Sonic RecordNow”.

If nothing happens when you load the DVD, you’ll need to open your DVD recording software and take the option for “make a copy”.

I don’t think Windows XP has a DVD copy function as such (I’ve got XP Pro SP2 and it doesn’t seem to have it, so I don’t think you’ve “lost” anything upgrading to SP3).

[quote user="Sunshine"]

Yes I have tried this.  But I do not have an icon to press to get the option to copy!..

[/quote]

I'm not sure of what your asking. Was this 'icon' on the Desktop screen? or did you select it from a list when you inserted a Blank DVD? What burning software was it? What did the Icon look like? If you could be more specific it would give us a better idea of your problem. In the meantime you could try the following...

Try looking for the program by going START button > All programs> (whatever the software was you were using)

Or

Start button > my computer     Then right click on the CD/DVD drive Icon, Then click on Properties then select the Autoplay Tab at the top, Then check the Prompt me each time circle and click on the Apply button.

Archived