Complete France Forum

I have broadband and VOIP calls but still pay FT for my line as we are non-degroupee.

I can dial out to UK and local French calls no problem.

However those calling from the UK hear the phone ringing nomally but my phone doesn't ring.

This applies to the UK to U number thay have given us and also our original landline number.

As I can dial out is this a Teleconnect problem, or should I be phoning FT the provider of the line?

I spoke to customer service who told me to phone the technical support line. After listening to music for a while a French voice came on and said something. Having listened a couple of times I think  the message was we are busy leave your name and number and we will phone you. As my phone did not appear to receive incoming calls I opted for emails.Bit miffed their recorded message was in French!

I was given a new UK to U number but that didn't work either. When I asked about the FT landline number I was told if there was no tone it was a FT problem. I replied that I have a tone and can dial out, but I havent received an email from them yet.

My phone is plugged into the modem. The ringer is on. I think perhaps I should try another phone?

Back to basics, disconnect everything and just plug your phone into the socket. If that works your line is OK so it's not FT.

When I was getting setup I called a couple of times but it was out of hours so I just hung up but they must have logged the call because they called me back the next day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Problem still not resolved.

Had a few days back in UK and now trying to solve problem again.

Bought a new phone, needed one anyway, still got the problem. Disconnected everything plugged phone in no tone.

This is where it gets tricky. I phoned FT free help line. Eventually told to ring 3900. As I am subscribed to Teleconnect  I can't phone that number.

Elderly neighbour reluctant to let me use his phone because it costs to phone 3900. He told me to go to the shop in town 20 mins drive away.

Is it worth trying the english FT  help line  0800 36 47 75 to report the faulty line?I thought this line was for sales.

I wonder if you have a short on your line inside your house. FT will not pick that problem up (well they didn't for us). If you have a multimeter, take the cover off your junction box and check the resistance on the two wires. If you get a low number on your meter, you have a short circuit. This does not affect your broadband internet access but will affect your phone calls. This is what happened with us so I ripped out the phone cable inside the house and replaced it. Works fine now.

Thanks for your reply. I will have to wait for partner to return to try that.

It is strange that we can dial out but can't receive calls.

Teleconnect just emailed me to say to press the hash key twice, wait for a different tone and then i can dial 3900. I tried but no different tone, just silence.

I'm with Teleconnect and ## 3900 works for me. ## simply tells the router to bypass the Teleconnect preselection and fall back to FT.

Did you plug your phone directly into the line and what happened.

My understanding of your problem is that your Internet is working and you can make calls but not receive them.

This suggests to me that you have a high resistance on the line, not a short as that would obviously kill it dead.

A high resistance would explain why your phone isn't ringing with incoming calls. The exchange needs to be able to drive a certain amount of current down the line to operate the ringer and a high resistance would prevent this.

Give this a try this; get someone to call you, or call yourself on a mobile, and even though the phone doesn't ring pick it up anyway. If you make a connection then this confirms a line fault and it is down to FT to fix it.

If your phone is plugged into the router and everything else works then this is a problem with the Teleconnect UK phone line provider - send an email to support@teleconnect.fr any they will reset the voip line, and may direct the uk number direct to the FT line

Hi Pagnol,

This is just a long shot. There are three wires going into your junction box,(once you take off the sheafing!) I think it is the blue one that carries the ringtone. Get someone to check if this wire is disconnected or broken. It worked for me once!

An almost-satisfied teleconnect user!

We did plug the phone directly into the line and nothing.

The fact that pressing the hash key twice didn't get me a dial tone makes me think I dont have a line!

I phoned my phone with my own mobile. The phone didn't ring but I picked it up as suggested and nothing, no connection.

I'm hoping someone will let me call the FT fault number from their phone tomorrow.

Very grateful to all who took the trouble to respond.

Thank you!

I reported the loss of my line to FT yesterday. They said it would be dealt with  before Thursday evening.

This morning having been out for a short while I noticed my new phone flashing the message sign and I had a message from an FT engineer saying my line had been re-established.

So Teleconnect was not responsible for my problem and were really very helpful.

Archived