Complete France Forum

Sky compatible DVR or PVR

Link to description of Phatom PVR attached. Other places in UK stock them. Basically you 'train' the device with the codes you input to any VCR or DVR when you want to record what is currently on screen. Then you set the programme you want on the SKY digibox to automatic view using the normal SKY handset. Provided the digibox is on the Phantom PVR sends the codes to the recorder and it starts recording atomatically.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3b.htm#phantom

I've got a Sony DVD recorder which has a 'synch record' function. The way this works is that if you've got a Sky box, which it sounds as if you have, then you put the programme you want to record into the Personal Planner and select 'auto view'. Then you select 'synch record' on the Sony. Then, while you are away, the Sky box will switch on for each programme in the personal planner and the Sony will receive a signal from the box and record the programme for you - works quite well.

Tim

I've no idea about HD DVD recorders - not being in the market for one at the moment, but one of the Sonys is an RDR GX3 - this is about three years old - the other one is very similar, but a later model - not sure of the number of that one - it's upstairs at the moment - and they both have this 'synch record' function. It works quite well with only occasional issues about the Sky box personal planner not turning the Sky box on when required. I suppose it's a bit like 'Skyplus'. The machines are very flexible in that they have multi-standard tuners so will work in the UK and most of Europe including France for terrestrial analogue signals and they work with both + & - DVDs.

Tim

I have been using a brace of TiVo's for the past couple of years in UK and now wouldn't be without them.

http://www.uk.tivo.com/0.0.asp

You can only get them secondhand now (eBay) but apart from not having dual tuners they beat the socks off a Sky+ box.

The killer for me is that I can programme them from anywhere in the world via a web browser and also, bandwidth permitting, I can download recorded programmes to watch wherever I happen to be [:D]

Archived