Complete France Forum

Getting a phone line connected in France Dept 56

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before but, How do I go about getting the phone connected in France? The house apparently has a telephone socket and was connected in the past. Do I have to use France Telecom or is there other companies that I can choose as my provider? Hopefully I will be able to get broadband as going from my current 20meg connection to dial-up would be a killer.

I've had a quick read of the teleconnect site and seems to use them I need to have a France Telecom phone line ? Or did I get that bit wrong?

Some companies have started to do the legwork for you if you do not have an existing 'live' line.

Neuf for instance, will do everything for you and I am sure others do too.

You will need to have the old tel number and you can find it by plugging in a phone into the socket and dialling 0123456789 (pen and paper at the ready!)

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar position to Onion Van Man except that I do not have any telephone socket as all connections were dropped at least 25 years ago. So as I am starting from scratch as it were do I have to go through FT or are there other options for me? Any idea on timescales to get FT (or anyone else) to put in sockets and connect you up? OK Broadband can come afterwards. I am having the whole house rewired so does the electrician do the sockets or do FT?

Sorry - bit new at this game!

[quote user="le rouge"]

I am in a similar position to Onion Van Man except that I do not have any telephone socket as all connections were dropped at least 25 years ago. So as I am starting from scratch as it were do I have to go through FT or are there other options for me? Any idea on timescales to get FT (or anyone else) to put in sockets and connect you up? OK Broadband can come afterwards. I am having the whole house rewired so does the electrician do the sockets or do FT?

Sorry - bit new at this game!

[/quote]

We had the electrician put in wiring for phones when he did the rewiring for our renovation, but we haven't had a phone connected there yet (other parts of the renovation won't be finished until late fall- if we're lucky).

Our first maison secondaire had never had a phone line and it took quite a while to get it installed, but that was an unusual situation because of complications in getting permission to run the line along the adjacent house.  I think it would have taken about a week under normal circumstances.  When FT was finally able to install the line, the tech installed the jack, too.

Archived