Complete France Forum

Helping french neighbour

An analogue box when it finds a signal normaly sends out a unplesent tone which gets progressivly louder untill you also get a picture.

Are you sure you were pointing the dish in the correct direction for 5 degrees west ( which is not 5 degrees West) ?

Are you sure TV was switch to get input via the Scart. If you use a Co Ax  TV needs a rescan with the box switched on to find the input. 

So does the neighbour already have the dish set up or were you starting from scratch?   If already installed,  the dish may have a "Telecom" (as opposed to a "universal") LNB installed which will have me reaching for the theory books as to how to persuade a modern sat receiver to correctly tune in the channels.

There are only 7 analogue French programmes broadcast from Atlantic Bird 3;  are you sure you had selected TF1/France2/3/5/M6 or Canal + (when not encrypted).

What did you see on the TV?   Snow?   A coloured background with menus superimposed?   You say you had a strong signal,  but I'm wondering how you know that as many analogue boxes don't have any signal indicators.

Please don't think I'm nitpicking,   I'm just trying to get a feel for what you have got so far.

And as Anton says,  are we sure that the sat box o/p is actually being displayed on the TV.

A suivre

hi, thanks for replies.Martin,I do not think you are nitpicking,I am not very good at this.Another friend used a meter whch gave the signal but there was nothing on the telly,just a completely blank screen which I believe was black. He only has one AV on his telly,would this make a difference?

No it should not make a difference that he only has the one AV input.   Generally "something" should appear on the screen when you power up the sat box,  even if it's just a blue (or black) screen;  what happens if you push the menu button on the sat remote?

If you can't see anything still,  try and make sure that the TV has switched actually to AV;   often this happens automatically when you power up the sat receiver as a command is passsed down the SCART cable to tell the TV to forget about its aerial and concentrate on the SCART input.   If your neighbour is watching one of the terrestrials does this get replaced when you switch on the sat box?   If not,  look for a way of selecting AV on the TV manually;  often it's a button with a symbol depicting a screen with an arrow pointing in from the side.  

Once you are sure that you can at least see what's going on on screen we'll tackle the LNB.   I now understand how you know the signal strength is good,   but does your friend with the meter know for certain that it's AB£ giving the good signal.   In most parts of France the dish will be pointing just a smidge west of due south,  but only a smidge.

It's difficult when one can't see what's going on direct but we'll do our best!

Archived