Complete France Forum

Download albums

I am new to this mp3 business so seek advice etc from you lot. Would you pls recommend sites where I can download whole albums rather than individual tracks. Or is it quicker/easier to buy the CD and then copy to my matchbox ?

TIA (sorry for dragging you away from the men playing with odd shaped balls)

John

A very pertinent and basic question from L&R but almost as important, how fast is your internet connection. I seem to recall that you are rather poorly catered for in this regard but that may have changed.

An MP3 album ripped at 128kbs (the minimum you would want for acceptable quality) might typically weigh in at 60 or 70mb which is nothing on an 8mb link but a lifetime on dialup [:-))]

Most of the "free" downloadable stuff will be ripped at a higher rate, frequently 256kbs or even higher, with correspondingly larger files and longer download times.

If you want to do it kosher then you have several options some of which are compared here:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/04/07/lets-buy-some-music-part-1/

The first one, AllofMP3, is now defunct having been a Russian site of dubious legality and recently shut down which is a shame because the music was dirt cheap and in MP3 format completely free of any protection.

You'll notice the row titled DRM and what this means is that the music you download is protected from recopying (including copying to another device) in some way although in most cases you can burn a CD from the tracks.

If you go the iPod route then music you download will be in Apple's proprietary format AAC and will only play on an iPod. Nor will Apple devices play WMA files (Windows Media Audio) given which it is a source of some curiosity and amusement to many as to why, outside of a fashion statement or sheer ignorance, anybody would ever consider buying an iPod, I certainly wouldn't want one as a gift !

Some other services are actually subscription based, notably Napster, where you are in effect only renting the music, if you cancel your subscription your music stops working, neat huh ?

From the foregoing you might begin to understand why people are driven to illegal sites where tracks are invariably in unprotected MP3 format and can be played on just about anything.

As the saying goes, you pays yer money and takes yer choice !

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Seems allofmp3.com were acquited and were not breaking the law (in Russia), although their service is temporarily out of action.
[/quote]

the new replacement quasi legal alternative is http://www.mp3sparks.com - basically the same deal, different name and way cheaper than other sites...

Danny

Not an endorsement - I have not tried any downloading myself.

Archived