Complete France Forum

Receiving Calls from the UK on an 09 number

I have a fully degrouped line with Free and have a number that starts 09 xx xx. People in the UK have been unable to call me using a BT line as apparently BT recognise 09 numbers as being "in country" accessible only (my Dad - retired and with time on his hands bless him has spent hours discussing this with anyone in BT who will talk to him). People with Talk Talk in the UK can however call as they appear to have a sort of "access code" in front. This seems stranger than you can believe and I have been unable to find any other references to this problem anywhere on the internet. Has anyone else experienced the same and has anyone else found a way around it?? Free calls to the UK with Free is great, but being able to receive calls is also nice....

We have an 09xxx number in France from Orange, and there is no problem callng it, though we kept the FT line with the 02xxx number for most incoming calls. So maybe the problem is with Free rather than any British phone service providers. Like you, there are few problems with using the 09 number for outgoing calls.

Archived