Complete France Forum

Desktop Background in XP

I hope someone might know how to remove previously used listed background pictures found in Display Properties under Desktop. My list has got so long that I wish to delete some, but cannot find how to do it. I assume it must be easy but even my computer people could not give me the answer that worked.

Baz

Go into 'All Programs' - 'Accessories' - 'Windows Explorer'- 'My Computer' - 'C (local drive)'- 'Windows'.

Then scroll down and you will find them. The ones that come with windows are mostly in 'bitmap' format, but if you have copied stuff it may be in 'gif' or 'jpeg'

Any pictures you put into your My Documents\My Pictures folder also appear in the list of options for the Desktop background so you might like to have a look at that.

Also, anything you browse for goes in the list too but I'm not sure where he references to those are kept, in the Registry I would guess, but this is not somewhere you want to be messing for what is after all a trivial thing.

[quote user="Baz"]and getting a warning message about removing any files,[/quote]

Generally good advice but in many instances (such as this) you'll find that Windows is utterly over protective of the whole Windows folder however, despite dire warnings of doom, plague and pestillence, deleting a simple .bmp file will do no harm whatsoever.

An example of this is Notepad: As useful as it might be in no way is it a core Windows file or programme germain to the health of the OS yet go to C:\\Windows\System32 and delete notepad.exe (ignoring warnings) and Windows will immediately replace it from a cache held on the HD, why ???????????????

Archived