Complete France Forum

An English lady in our village, with no knowledge of the computer world, wants to aquire a laptop. I have cautioned her against getting a French one, as it is a complex system to learn without adding the language problem. I seem to remember in past correspondance, that some retailers here in France do sell English language PC's. Could anyone enlighten me!

I have just ordered one from Aplestore.fr

It will come with English keyboard, software and instructions.Mind you I probably still wont be able to get it going! And i dont have a wireless router as readers of this forum will know already. Oh, and yes, it is a mac.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]

If she's quick and lucky, she can still get one with XP on.

[/quote]

Would you want to go for XP knowing that Microsoft won't be supporting it or rolling out updates for it in less than 2 years from now? XP had plenty of problems when it was launched and loads more problems with the roll out of SP2 but, they have Ironed all them out now. Vista is due to have SP1 rolled out very soon and at least you know its going to have support until they replace it which has got to be 4 years plus.

2 years is a very long time in the computing world and by then Vista might be working properly.

I can always upgrade later, but for now, I'd rather have a system I know rather than having to spend eons trying to work a new system out and make it compatible with other software and hardware I currently have.

I personally prefer to be about 2 years behind in the computing world. It's much cheaper that way, and I have no need to have the latest systems or software.

R.

[quote user="Bugbear"]She can buy one from Dell, shipped to France with English software installed.[/quote]

A friend of mine has just done that but with a desktop, not a laptop. His subsequent advice is "Don't buy a ******* Dell". It stopped working completely after 3 weeks. He has had no end of fun getting alleged customer help. Each incompetent phone call at his expense of course.

There is nothing like someone on your doorstep to return things to in the event of problems. Computers are of course designed to go wrong just when you least want them to.

Danny

Dell do have a good name and I would be surprised if they could be beaten on price for a machine of same spec and quality. Dell use their own system which can be a problem, especially with the desktops. Say for example the power supply failed, You can't just get a replacement from the nearest computer store because dell use a different plug/socket system inside their machines.

True enough, but I have had two Dell's, the second being this laptop I am currently using, and I have really been happy with both of them.  Never had an issue with their after-sales service either, albeit I have only had to use once.

Only problem with Dell that I have found is that if you call their telephone number you get through to what I believe is India, and some really nice Indian man who invariably says his name is 'Chris' or 'George' (which I find hard to believe).    They seem to know what they are talking about but gosh are they persistent.   Be prepared for Chris or George to call you at least twice a day for the rest of your life.   I can only assume the poor staff work on pitiful commission. 

In the end I gave up and just went through internet to buy.

Archived