Complete France Forum

Firefox problem.

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am running firefox 2 and, starting a few days ago, all my computer functions - mouse selections, scrolling etc stated to run progressively more slowly after about 10 to 15 mins of being on line reaching a point of the computer being unusable.

I tried the following.

Shutdown firefox and used IE, no problems at all, even after ages on line (I am using IE now)

Shutdown computer and restarted, all ok for about the same time then onset of slow down.

Ran CCleaner, no problems

Ran spybot, no problems.

Ran full scan with AVG, no problems

Unloaded firefox, downloaded new edition still have the same slowing down.

Removed various un used programs to free up more space, still the same firefox slowdown

When FF is running the "hard drive in use" light continuously flashes, obviously something is going on in the background.

I even tried a system restore to the 1st September but no improvement.

If its relevent I am running XP pro on a relatively new Toshiba Satellite Pro.

Has anyone any ideas, cos I have run out of thoughts on this one.

[quote user="Onion van man"]I had some difficulty when upgrading to firefox 2.0.0.6. I later found that it had not overwritten or got rid of the previous version. I uninstalled both of them using add/remove programs in control panel then cleaned the registry and reinstalled 2.0.0.6. and now its fine and it only uses 70,390K of memory.

[/quote]

Tried that. 206mb now.

Might blow FF off and try Opera.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"][quote user="Onion van man"]I had some difficulty when upgrading to firefox 2.0.0.6. I later found that it had not overwritten or got rid of the previous version. I uninstalled both of them using add/remove programs in control panel then cleaned the registry and reinstalled 2.0.0.6. and now its fine and it only uses 70,390K of memory.

[/quote]

Tried that. 206mb now.

Might blow FF off and try Opera.

[/quote]

I have Opera installed too and use it from time to time. It uses approx half the memory that FF does. I quite like the speed dial idea too. While I like to use a browser other than IE, I find that every now and then there is a website that I need to view that is not compatible with either FF or Opera.

Archived