Complete France Forum

Advice needed on expiry of website name

My gite website name and hosting have expired (I should have checked and they did not let me know, unlike the previous years).

I am not planning to renew with them, as their fees have gone through the roof and their new all-in-one package is much too big for my basic needs.

1. Is there a period of time allowed for renewing (1 week, 1 month?) or does the name available?At present, the name is still showing as unavailable, although it should have expired this morning.

2. Should I let it expire or should I bite the bullet and renew just the name with them without the hosting?
  3. If I renew just the name with them, what happens about hosting the site with another company in the next few weeks?
  4. Having read about transfer and the time they take to do, I am slightly concerned about what details I will need. Can someone clarify?
  5. Is there another way of doing this that I am missing?
Slightly panicked...[:'(]

Clair,

Don't panic - even slightly. It is highly unlikely that someone else will jump in and take your domain name, surely?

You don't say who "them" are but I use www.1and1.fr  and it is very cheap and simple for domain name registration and hosting if that is any use to you. I don't see any problems with using another hosting company to (re) register it for you.

If it has really expired then it should surely be available. Keep checking the availability

Danny

Yes, that's how it should work. If you look on their website you can check the availability of your domain name there. I chose the simplest 'pack' and it was sufficient for my needs (basic hosting and domain name registrations). I have had no problems whatsoever with them.

Danny

Hi Clair,

Is your domain name propertly registered to you?.  If it is a .fr domain name go to http://www.eurodns.com/?mk=goallfr&gclid=COTkxrDZ144CFQMfEgodxiSuAg type in the domain name to check the result, find your domain name and click on the 'whois' on the right and it will tell you the registration details.

If it is not a .fr then go to http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp  type in the domain name and the registration details will show.

If your domain is registered to you then YOU OWN IT.  Don't wait for it to expire, however unlikly, it may be bought by someone else. 
Find another Hosting company, buy a hosting account and tell them to associate your domain name with that account.  By International Law your present company cannot hold on to your domain name as it is not their property and must release it to your new hosting company.

Best of Luck

Hi Tel

Yes I am named as Registrant, Admin and Tech contact.

It's a .com website.

Having looked at another hosting company's "how to transfer" blurb, there's something about "Registrar-Lock ou TransferProhibited" having to be deactivated. Mine is currently activated (locked/prohibited)

Will that cause any problem if I simply register with another company?

Hi Clair,

Check with your preferred hosting company that your domain name can be transferred.  Should be no problem, however .com is a USA suffix and they have passed several laws protecting .com domain names to safeguard US businesses.  If your domain name is one that is wanted by a US based citizen or company they may take it off you.  Most of the other suffixes i.e. co.uk, org.uk, .net  have no such restrictions and are readily available, usually much cheaper too.

Regards

Archived