Complete France Forum

Assuming that your old drive and new drive are IDE interface types you will need to set the 'jumpers' to suit your set up. Disks that were 'burnt' using your old drive  might not be readable in the new drive if they were not finalised in the old drive.

Depending on your 'burning' software you might need to obtain a new license for it to work with a new drive. (If it was Nero and supplied with the Drive then this is the  case)

I would fully recommend  Pioneer drives for superior compatibility.

If you chose to simply add the DVD burner, try and leave a space (drivebay) between the two, something to do with air circulation (probably!).

Changing the jumpers is a doddle, there's a little diagram on the back of the thing and all you do is move a little piece of plastic.

Slave or Master, primary or secondary, all just jargon for burner 1 and  burner 2!

If you burn video files (film or whatever) choose the slowest speed available (x8 or under) for better results.

[quote user="Bones"]If you chose to simply add the DVD burner, try and leave a space (drivebay) between the two, something to do with air circulation (probably!).[/quote]

There is no point in doing that, unless you want a gap between the drive drawers.

[quote user="Bones"]Changing the jumpers is a doddle, there's a little diagram on the back of the thing and all you do is move a little piece of plastic.

Slave or Master, primary or secondary, all just jargon for burner 1 and  burner 2![/quote]

It's actually alot more involved than just 'burner 1&2' IDE interfaces were designed for more than just a CD/DVD burner. If you know what your doing you can actually speed up or slow down the data transfer rate.

[quote user="Bones"]If you burn video files (film or whatever) choose the slowest speed available (x8 or under) for better results.

[/quote]

Or alternatively just buy good quality disks with Taiyo Yuden dye and burn them at full speed with success.

The gap thing was something a PC builder taught me: I can't see it being all that crucial either, but it can't do any harm: especially if you have overheating issues in summer (as I do).

Changing the jumpers is a doddle and I was trying to simplify things for the original poster, otherwise they might employ someone to come and do it for them.

You're quite right about disk quality, having said that I wouldn't burn an avi to any disk at x16, best to buy good Japanese disks and burn as slowly as possible. Most people will buy their disks from Leclerc and not find a Taiyo Yuden disk.  I go down to Andorra and buy 100 Sony dvd-r for about 20 odd euros.  [;-)]

Actually, I've recently bought a divx player with a usb key in it for 30 euros and so far so good!

I agree Bones. An average person with a modicum of sense could do most upgrades to their own PC's or build a new tower from parts.

Something most people don't realise when it comes to DVD's is there is only something like 10 manufacturers that make them and there is hundreds of different branded disk's! I would recommend SVP for media they ship to most EU countries too.

As the poster who originated this thread, I have now purchased a Samsung DVD burner from Leclerc. The instructions for fitting are a little vague. It seems daunting to open up the tower to fit the burner as this is almost unknown territory to me. (I did once fit an additional hard drive!) But although as some suggested in an earlier posting, I would like to keep the original CD rom burner, I cant see how this can be done, as there are only two drawers!

So if anyone could give me a blow by blow description how to go about this task, I would be very grateful!

If you've already fitted a hard drive then you can easily fit the DVD drive.

However, you don't have the requisite free bay: so that's the end of that then!

I suppose you could have purchased an external drive.

I wouldn't worry about it, I fitted a dvd burner and kept my original cd writer but never use the thing. The dvd burner can do everything the CD burner can do and faster too.

From memory, you just rip out the cd burner, delete its existence from my computer, replace it with the dvd burner. I think your hard drive will be your primary ide device and the dvd burner a secondary device but to be honest I can barely remember: it will no doubt be in your instruction pack!

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/fp;2;fpid;10005;o;0;id;612699979

That's a video guide free on the net.

[:D]

Provided you can find the screws that hold the case covers on. The drive usually has two small screws holding it on either side (some cases have special brackets or springs).

Most Pre-SATA motherboards have two IDE connectors Usually marked as IDE-0 & IDE-1 you can connect two devices to each connector using cables with 3 plugs. If you connect two devices to one cable make sure one has the jumper set to master and the other to slave. It is not a good idea to have a hard drive on the same cable as an optical drive - it can cause a data transfer speed reduction on the hard drive(not always but, sometimes it happens)

If you are replacing an existing drive then just set the jumper to same setting as the drive you are replacing.

Assuming you are using XP and both the old CD drive and the new DVD drive are the same type (ie IDE devices), just swop them, it really is as easy as that.  Then on first boot up you should see the new device named in BIOS - if you dont then,  you need help  !

There is little point in keeping the old CD drive, not unless you rip loads of CDs.

Keeping an air gap between drives is good practice, but not essential.  If you  have a large case then OK, if not, dont worry !

Archived