Complete France Forum

USB Vinyl and Cassette decks

I've seen these advertised in a few places now and would really like to transfer my vinyl and cassette collection onto a more modern medium.  Anybody tried these?  Some of the decks suggest they need pre-amps also, why?

Q.2 Anybody know any good competitively-priced suppliers here in France.

Assuming you already have a turntable and cassette player I am not sure you need anything more.  I used the output from them into the stereo microphone socket of the PC and adjusted volume / removed cracks with a covermount from a computer mag. I am pretty sure you do need a preamp from a turntable.  

I've been doing this sort of thing for years and can confirm that you probably need a pre-amplification stage between the output of the turntable and the input of the PC because the output of most turntable cartridges is low.

I use an old stereo amplifier - plug the turntable into the old amp - then take the output of the amp - I usually use the 'tape output' sockets -  and plug into the 'line in' input of your PCs soundcard. Alot of amplifiers use what are often called 'phono' or RCA sockets and the input to the PCs soundcard will probably be 3.5 mm jack. These leads are quite easily available - I think I've seen them in places like the electrical sections of the hypermarkets.

For software I use a simple to use programme picked up from a PC shop about 15 years ago - but agree, some of the freebies given away will probably do just as well.

Tim

Not sure I am pretty sure the sound card and DVD writer I had then had a standard microphone inlet on the front panel. All I did was take a broken microphone and attach the wires to the output from the back of turntable. I did not do anything like my full collection mainly odd folk / folk rock which were showing no signs of coming out on CD. Early Nick Jones , Dave Walters etc. Next time I am in Auchan / Cybertek I will have a look and see if they have anything . It was quite a long time ago as I was using 'Golem' which began live as a Reseach Machines 80186 which was being dumped  but had had everything upgraded over the years including a couple of new motherboards.

I'm going to go off my own topic now Anton.... Nick Jones.  Did you see him live?  I did on several occasions.  Certainly his is some of the stuff is what I want to begin with.  Can I come up and see your CD collection some time....?[Www]

Thanks for all your tips.  I have "Audio Cleaning Lab" but have never got the wiring thing sorted so I can use it.  The USB route just sounded so simple (also, my hi-fi system - which is all separates and not easy to move) is a bit of a long way from the computer.  Guess I'll have to use my laptop.

Coops, to get the proper frequency response and levels you definately need a pre-amp between a record deck and a PC (or laptop), you can't just stuff it in and hope for the best. If your HiFi is all seperates then it almost certainly will have a line out which you can use and there is nothing special about the cable you need, just a Phono to miniature jack plug (usually).

I don't know which USB thingy you have seen but it seems like it might be a waste of money when you probably already have everything you need [;-)]

Ernie is right about the pre-amp (at least on my Macs) - so the tape player I already have worked fine (because it had a headphone socket), but vinyl ended up being a mission, with a turntable, amp and cables all over a desk not really designed for all of that. The Guardian sells the USB things for about £80, so if you have more than a dozen LPs to transfer you are in profit compared to buying the CDs (possibly - depending on price, obviously. Or if the LPs are even available as CDs.)

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]You'd be better off downloading your collection from the internet I think. Be much quicker and easier.
[/quote]We are talking some pretty obscure stuff here!  There was a guy in Harrogate (I think) who years ago ran a company called C**** M**** (asterisks there 'cos of the "name and shame" thing).  He bought the rights to loads and loads of folk-related stuff and has sat on it ever since.  Much of it only exists on vinyl and even the artists themselves cannot get access to it.  Two indeed, re-recorded all the stuff they had done which was affected in this way, and re-released it in a new version on their own label.  The internet is pretty much a no-go sadly.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Any time you are passing but we are a good four hours South from you. Saw Nic live several times not sure if it was 'The Shakesperes Head, Empress of Russia or in Hampstead. Also saw him as accompanist to June Tabor. [/quote]I also saw Nic with June Tabor (second billing to Steeleye if I remember rightly).  She is one of my favourite singers - happily all her stuff is available on CD.

Thanks again all, I'll try this through my hi-fi and see what happens.  Not sure about my ability to rig up the correct lead, but I'll call in the o/h.[Www]

[quote user="cooperlola"]The internet is pretty much a no-go sadly.[/quote]

Don't you believe it Coops, I've got some links I can send you when I get home, I'm in UK at the mo.

I've found:

Ballads& Songs

From the Devil to a Stranger

Game Set Match

In Search of

The Noah's Ark Trap

Patience................!

Look forward to the links - Ballards and Songs and From the Devil ot a Stranger were the ones which I recorded to to CDR because they were not or ever likely to be available on CD. Penguin Egggs is available of CD. The others are comparativie ly recent releases but sourced from BBC and other recordings.  

Archived