Complete France Forum

Reduced mobile phone roaming charges

Having heard on yesterday's Radio 4 News that the new EU imposed mobile phone charges were now in place,  I turned on our Orange UK phone (normally strictly out of bounds whilst in France) and - sure enough - there was a text from Orange telling me that whilst in "this country" (ie France) calls to the UK and France are 38 p per min,  and receiving calls is 19 p per minute.

Whilst 7/7 (seven shillings and sevenpence) seems a huge amount of money to me it's a lot cheaper than it was,  and to be honest with the amount we use the phone (twice in seven years) there is now no point in our looking for a French PAYG for use whilst over here,  with their licensed banditry on the credit expiry front (and I particularly would like to remind anyone who has forgotten of the NRJ saga - a complete con!).

So just for once I'll say well done to the EU for jumping on the "roaming  rip off".   Could you please now move on to the cross-frontier satellite bouquet subscription issue and bring that in line with the Freedom of Movement of Goods and Services legislation!

And well done to Orange for being up-front about a price.   That's a first in my experience too,  they are masters of the art of disguising prices in the small print.

Thanks Martin.   My NRJ credit is still running, but once it's all gone (probably about 2010 at this rate!) no French mobile phone company is getting my money any more!  Do you know how much it costs a French person to call from here?

Tesco also quote the price when you turn the phone on here, btw.

You can be sure that someone somewhere will be picking up the slack, probably not such good deals on new phones and upgrades etc. neither of which I personally care a stuff about so if the "must keep up with the Jones'" brigade want to subsidise the rest of us with more sense then bring it on...................[:D] [:D]

I have a 3210 and a 3310.  The non-Luddites don't realise that you can get replacement batteries for them, and fall for the sales pitch that they need all these "convergence" features on the damned things when their old one stops working,  simply because the battery is worn out....

..........   and so they get locked into another year of contract when they could - like me - have a bill for about £5 p a!

But then isn't this partly what the credit crunch is all about (he says,  wildy extrapolating from consumer extravagance through to general economics!)

I have one Sim-free phone (now about 2 years old) which I use for both countries.  I just swap the SIMs around when I go back to the UK.  I've always thought the offer of cheap phones to tie me into contracts I don't want were the biggest con going.  But my o/h falls for them all time![:D]

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]I have a 3210 and a 3310.  The non-Luddites don't realise that you can get replacement batteries for them, and fall for the sales pitch that they need all these "convergence" features on the damned things when their old one stops working,  simply because the battery is worn out....

..........   and so they get locked into another year of contract when they could - like me - have a bill for about £5 p a!

But then isn't this partly what the credit crunch is all about (he says,  wildy extrapolating from consumer extravagance through to general economics!)
[/quote]I'm quite proud of how my 3310 has been recycled..

Initially it was mine when the model was curreent (second hand of course) so what would that have been, 2001 perhaps ?

I kept it for about 3 years then passed it down to my daughter who has inherited my mean Gene and she has once more passed it back to me.

The battery is the same one I bought as a spare in 2003 and is still going strong.

I have always been PAYG and never had a contract [:P]

Archived