Complete France Forum

ADSL filter query

Can anyone please tell me whether both sockets ('modem' and 'phone') on an ADSL filter are filtered in the same manner?

We have a variety of phones in the house but my wife uses an amplifying phone (BT) which we brought with us from UK; she has a severe hearing loss and this works a treat. However I have plugged it into the modem socket on the ADSL filter simply because I had a RJ11 lead handy at the time (obviously the BT plug wouldn't fit). I've noticed that it appears to be causing some interference with my broadband connection. It's taken me ages to pin it down to this because the problem isn't apparent all the time; it's worse in the evenings, which seems odd. Things seem to improve when I disconnect the phone, so it's looking that way.

So, the query is... should I simply obtain a French phone plug and wire the lead into this and use the 'phone' socket on the filter instead? Is there in fact a difference in the signal which comes out of the 2 sockets on the filter or are they the same?

I know that not all UK equipment works in France, but in all other respects this phone is OK and of course we'd like to continue using it because of the amplifying facility.

(Sits back and waits hopefully for a flood of replies [blink] )

[quote user="sid"]

Can anyone please tell me whether both sockets ('modem' and 'phone') on an ADSL filter are filtered in the same manner?[/quote]

They aren't the same. The idea of the filter is to separate two signals, one high frequency for the ADSL modem and the other low frequency for the telephone. If you plug a phone into the adsl modem port then it can cause problems. Put a BT-to-FT adapter on the phone lead and plug it into where the phone should go. You can either buy a BT-to-FT adapter OR a new FT lead that will have an RJ45 plug on the other end that will plug into the phone itself. BTW, you need to have filters on ALL your phone sockets that have anything plugged into them.

Regards

Pickles

Hello Pickles

Thanks, that's what I suspected but didn't actually know. I didn't want to go to the trouble of buying a new lead if it wasn't necessary.

Yes, I have filters on the other equipment/sockets.

As for adaptors; don't I need an RJ11 rather than RJ45 (ethernet) plug on the other end? They are different sizes, aren't they?

Regads

Sid

[quote user="sid"]As for adaptors; don't I need an RJ11 rather than RJ45 (ethernet) plug on the other end? They are different sizes, aren't they?[/quote]

Yes, of course you are correct. My fingers are programmed to type "45" after any occurrence of "rj".

Pickles

Archived