Complete France Forum

Sorry - another Telephone through Livebox query!

Anyone had this before? Using the VOIP phone attached to the Livebox I call either UK or France and it rings the other end but when they pick up there is nothing! The call goes onto my account as I can see it online. It is free so no problem there but wonder what is going on!

This started yesterday evening. Up until then I had been using it for a good week without any problems.

I have my FT line as well so can still call but this is costing me.

Internet works fine.

Any ideas please?

Cheers

We get the very occasional non-connected call, or call that disappears half way through (with no indication to the caller, other than the fact that one party is not talking). But as it happens equally occasionally with the BT equivalent to the Livebox (think it's called Home Hub or something similar) I always thought it was something to do with internet phones in general rather than just Orange and liveboxes.

In addition to my original query above, the people I call (when I eventually speak to them through another line) tell me that after the phone rings they then lose the dial tone and therefore cant call back. I also then get the engaged tone if I ring them on another phone whlist their dial tone is missing. This lasts for a good 5 or 10 minutes. All a bit confusing.

If it is just the unreliability of the telephone illimite then I will just have to accept it I suppose and use my FT line instead .

I only have one wire coming into the house. The FT phone is in the filter and the VOIP phone is in the Orange converter provided which then connects to the livebox.

It was all working fine 2 days ago which is what bugs me but as I said perhaps these faults happen intermittently judging by what I have read on here.

I cant even ring my FT line from my VOIP line - there is a dial tone on the VOIP, I call my FT number but it doesnt ring. I can call the FT from my mobile but if I call the VOIP from my mobile I just get the message service.

Hi

I use Teleconnect and had the same problem. Rang their technical people who adjusted ONLINE my box and telephone line and no problem since. Do allow at least 20/30 seconds for connection because your call goes through France Telecon,your service provider, British Telecom and finally the person you have rung. 

Hope this helps

Jan

By yesterday lunchtime I had lost Internet as well as VOIP so as a last resort I powered everything down, unplugged phone and Livebox and even took cables out and replugged in. Powering up the Livebox made no difference. But when I reconnected the Ethernet cable woopee everything lit up like a Xmas tree and I was away - telephone illimite and Internet!!

[quote user="le rouge"]

I only have one wire coming into the house. [/quote]Sorry le rouge but I couldn't resist a little chuckle when I read that. Of course you only have one "wire" coming in the house but it consists of a PAIR of wires (or possibly more although only one pair will be connected) and what Anton meant was swap those two over [:D]

It shouldn't make any difference and frankly, if your Broadband is OK I doubt it will but at the same time it won't do any harm.

What you're experiencing may just be one of the unfortunate quirks of VOIP telephony. Just as browsing and downloading can sometimes slow to a crawl either due to congestion or other problems who knows where, VOIP calls can be similarly afflicted but because it is speech the effect is both immediate and obvious.

If it persists get on to your ISP

EDIT: A salutory lesson for all here. Before you go pulling your hair out in frustration ALWAYS completely switch off and restart your Router and PC. It's amazing how many problems can be instantly sorted by this simple expedient !

Archived