Complete France Forum

At the moment we have a digital box and recieve the free to view channels with the saltllite dish pointing to Astra 28.

We have just "inherited" a sky box and card from a deceased member of the family. My understanding is that we should be able to plug in the sky box and hopefully not have to adjust the dish.

I understand how to plug everything in at the back TV/video box etc. My question is that we have no operating instructions so I don't know how to set it up. Do I put the card in the slot before turning on? When it is turned on what else will I have to do?

Thank's in advance for your help.

Assuming your exisitng sat box is connected via a co axial cable to the dish and SCART lead to the TV simply replace the exisitng box with the Sky box. Everything else should be automatic it is the main advantage of a Sky Dish over an ordinary digibox.. Hope you also inherited the remote control.

More experienced forum users will certainly contributr, but when I changed my box to a newer one, I just plugged it in, waited about 1mn (don't ask me why!) and turned it on.

The TV screen comes up with a message that the box is looking for programs.

When it's done that, the screen will change to Sky's own advertising loop and you're ready to go.

You can insert the card either befoer swithing the box on or when the programs show, but preferarbly not when the box is downloading its schedule.

As the others have said - if your existing set up is working ok, then just changing the box over should be straight forward. When you switch it on you will have to wait for the channel info to be downloaded - normally takes a minute or two. You should get the channels you're used to - in addition, if you've also got the card for the box, and it's a 'yellow house' one - this should also enable you to receive Channel 4, 5, Sky 3 and a few others. If you've got the remote control for the box you should have no problems.

If you do, come back on here with the question and we will do what we can to sort it out.

Tim

Well, you said that the card is a 'Yellow House' one - there's two possibilities here - one, the card needs to be activated, which doesn't seem likely as you said you had inherited the box - the second is more likely - has the box been left unplugged for some time? If so, the card will not have received it's 'stay alive' signal from the satellite. If the card is ok, then just leave the box switched on, or standby overnight, and within 72 hours it should get it's signal and burst into life! If it doesn't, then it's a problem with the card.

Just one other thing - and this is easy to do - make sure you've put it the right slot!!

Tim

Yes it is in the right slot......and yes it has not been plugged in since May......will leave it on and see what happens over the next few days...thank's for that....I still have hope :o) even if I don't end up getting them I do have many more channels than before.....and not just the rubbish ones!! the next thing I need to do is sort out the favourites....BBC is right next to the adult channels and I have 2 children!!

I assume from your message that your local BBC region is not London - the default region - I can't be sure about this, but that region should be for the area that the card was registered in, if it's not already. If it's not, it may change when the card springs into life. Someone else on here may know a little more about that.

One of the problems with a Sky box is that you don't have the same control over the channels it displays as you would with an ordinary Free To Air receiver. The box will show all the channels broadcast, whether you subscribe to them or not - and you cannot change the order of the channels either. You can, however, have favourite channels, accessed through the services menu I believe, and then selected via the remote's blue button.

Any problems - let us know.

Tim

Archived