Complete France Forum

After the installation of the QuickCam software, the microphone on the camera can be disabled through Device Manager.

1. Click "Start," "Settings," and "Control Panel."

2. Double click System.

3. Click on the Device Manager tab. (Windows 2000 and XP users, click on the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager button.)

4. Double click “Sound, Video and Game Controllers."

5. Double click the Logitech Microphone.

6. Follow the instructions that are appropriate for your operating system:

1. Windows 98 and Windows Me users, place a check mark in the option box for “Disable in this Hardware Profile”.

2. Windows 2000 and Windows XP users, change Device Usage to "Do not use this device (disable)."

3. Click OK.

To turn the headset mic on, just double click on the volume icon on your windows toolbar an move the slider up on 'mic'

Or,

In Skype go into the Tools/Options ... and select audio devices from General section the list at the left.  You can the select which audio device you want Skype to use for calls (there is a pull down list of sound devices on your computer).  you select the microphone seperately from the sound output (and seperately from the ringing device).  Thus you can have the microphone and audio on different sound cards/devices if you want.  It is easy and obvious when you get into the Audio settings in Skype.

Ian

Thanks for the advice folks. Tried various things but so far have only managed to turn the both mics off using the Skype facility. Windows control panel seems to allow me to turn the headset mic on but it does not stay on when I restart Skype. The windows I am using is a French version of VISTA and the computer is a recently aquired Dell Inspiron 531. I get different results when using the headset sockets on the front panel and the back panel. The camera and camera mic are plugged into a USB connector and seem to work ok. Not to worry I will keep on trying various combinations of things. Thanks again...............J 

Archived