Complete France Forum

Will our PAL-system television work with a Sky digibox?

We own a four-year old freeview television and, having read the specification, it says it is PAL system only.  With our forthcoming view to France we shall be buying a Sky digibox and freeview card and there is a satellite dish already installed.  My question is:  will this television work with it, or do we need a SAGEM standard television?

We already have a SAGEM television in France, to pick up French terrestrial channels, but it's a little telly whereas our UK PAL system one is a big fills-the-corner-of-the-lounge monster, but it's PAL only.  But to pick up a Sky (UK) signal can we just work with a PAL television?

I am a complete novice at all this and so any helpful advice will be most welcome!  Thanks all.

Anton is correct - one thing I should add - you say it's a Freeview TV - I have a couple of these with the digital tuner built in. I have mine working on the French version of Freview called TNT for the French channels. If you are in an area covered by these transmissions you could get French TV in this way as well. There are about 18 channels on TNT.

Unless it's a very early specification Freeview set, it should work ok.

Tim

Archived