Complete France Forum

I've had a few problems this week with settings on my system seeming to change without me touching anything.

Most things I can live with except I've almost lost my sounds on the screen and also for incoming voice when I'm using VoiP sevice.

I've been to control panel/sounds and audio devices but everything appears to be at max volume. I have Windows XP Pro.

Would a system restore be liable to help or any other suggestions? Keep it simple please as I'm non-techie.

Just a thought. or two.

Try checking every volume control in sounds and audio devices for any mute boxes ticked 

Volume- Sounds- Audio- Voice.

Then check  (in contol panel) System - Hardware - Device manager and look for any red crosses.

Try this and let me know how you get on

Virus check OK.

I used Registry Mechanic and came up with th efollowing result;

Startup Programs 1

Add/Remove Programs 19

File Extensions 4

Custom Controls 65

Deep Scan 1,312

Since I've no idea what a registry check is I don't know if these results are good, bad or indifferent. [8-)]

I've just run the free repair system and got the following;

Total items found 1,404

Total items ignored 0

Total items restricted 1,404

Total items repaired 0

It then suggests I buy the repair software for €29,95.

It's at this point, because I basically don't understand what's being offered, that I tend to back off.

Routine sales gimmick.

That said I have used Registry Mechanic for many years and it does its job brilliantly. £15.00 is not a bad price either.

If you google registry you will find totally free software if you want to go down that route.

Your registry is what runs your PC (well the software anyway) and it really is vital IMHO to keep it clean. Downloads, viewing files, deleting and changing stuff all affects it, slowing things down or worse. 

Thanks again Bugbear. Whilst I think I now understand registry software I'm reluctant to start spending bits of money unless I can be pretty sure that it will solve my problem.

I looked at the "free" offerings but they all resulted in not correcting any faults with the free version but offering to sell the full version. If you know one that would actually work without buying so that I can see if it will solve the problem then a link would be appreciated.

Anton and Cooperlola,

Thanks for the input.I don't have seperate speakers (I'm not into music or gaming) but I use the built in ones within the screen. I have just confirmed that the cable between the screen and processor box looks OK and it's fully home at both ends. Unfortunately my neighbours are away at the moment or else I would see about borrowing a set of speakers from their teenagers (if they have them). Later this week I will be seeing another pal so I'll borrow some then.I get the same (very low) volume when playing a CD.

Just in case I've given the wrong impression about VoiP calls I use an old microphone as the outgoing device and rely on the screen based speakers for incoming so their are no headsets or VoiP 'phone to cloud this issue. Incidentially for calls I make the receiver is getting my voice clearly it's just the incoming that is very faint.

As a final resort I do have the computer shop where I originally bought the system but the last time I went there one of the young techies fixed my small problem without charging for his work because his boss wasn't there so I'm reluctant to keep popping back there as it's also a fair distance to drive.

In that case, Benjamin, at the risk of sounding as though I'm teaching my grandmother, I take it you've checked the sound settings on the screen itself?  I remember years ago with our first pc, spending hours (not just us but the shop which supplied the thing too) on a similar problem, only for me to eventually figure out that that was the problem - something which all the "experts" had missed!

[quote user="cooperlola"]

In that case, Benjamin, at the risk of sounding as though I'm teaching my grandmother, I take it you've checked the sound settings on the screen itself?  I remember years ago with our first pc, spending hours (not just us but the shop which supplied the thing too) on a similar problem, only for me to eventually figure out that that was the problem - something which all the "experts" had missed!

[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes I had checked the sound level on the screen and it was showing 50% but I've just pushed it up tp 100% and hey presto!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Clair,

Thanks for that I've bookmarked that and I will use it later as I have a few calls to catch up on first.

Hearing you loud and clear! It's always the simple ones which catch you out...

My secretary once had a totally blue screen on her computer - bear in mind that this was in the old days before we had pics and things, so it was really just a glorified word processor way back then.  For a couple of days, all the computer technicians in the building were in  and out of the office trying to figure out what was wrong.....

She had made the font colour the same as the background.....[:-))]

[quote user="Benjamin"]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes I had checked the sound level on the screen and it was showing 50% but I've just pushed it up tp 100% and hey presto!

[/quote]

Don't worry about it, most of us have been there at one time or another.................[:D]

Get your registry clean though, its pretty essential.

Archived