Complete France Forum

Warning on stealthy Windows virus

I had heard of this one Claire although I doubt too many others have. It is potentially very nasty.

One way to avoid typing in passwords directly is to use the inbuilt on screen keyboard (XP anyway, don't know about Vista) where you can just use your mouse to click the characters so no keylogger will detect them.

Call it up in XP by typing   osk   into the Run box or the long winded way for masochists:

• Point to All Programs.

• Point to Accessories.

• Point to Accessibility.

• Select On–Screen Keyboard.

Also you can use a password manager which automatically inserts your user name and password without you typing in anything.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

One way to avoid typing in passwords directly is to use the inbuilt on screen keyboard (XP anyway, don't know about Vista) where you can just use your mouse to click the characters so no keylogger will detect them.

Call it up in XP by typing   osk   into the Run box .[/quote]

Gosh Ernie I did not know that this existed - an amazingly useful tool; thanks a lot for the info.

Sue [:D]

To use the on screen keyboard (OSK) in Vista:

• Start / Démarrer (click on Vista logo on the tool bar)
  • Configuration panel / Panneau de configuration
  • Ease of access centre  / Options d'ergonomie
  • Start on-screen ketboard / Activer le clavier visuel

[quote user="Clair"]To use the on screen keyboard (OSK) in Vista:

• Start / Démarrer (click on Vista logo on the tool bar)
  • Configuration panel / Panneau de configuration
  • Ease of access centre  / Options d'ergonomie
  • Start on-screen ketboard / Activer le clavier visue
[/quote]

Or "Run" OSK[:D] if you don't have the  RUN command showing, you can enable it to be on the menu all the time.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

I have been using ROBOFORM PW Manager for about 3 years and find it indispensible.

There is also a Portable version which you can install onto a USB stick and carry around with you.

[/quote]

I use this and find it pretty good too. You can do the 30 day trial and after that I think it limits you to 10 passwords IIRC. Unless of course you pay the fee. As Ernie said you can have a portable version and it cleans all traces of details from the machine when you remove the USB pen, Which is very useful if you are using someone elses machine i.e. Internet cafe etc.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Both my online banks (Nationwide, Credit Agricole) use  the mouse method for pass number input - I guess this is why!

Thanks for the tip, Ernie, very useful.

[/quote]

We have the same banks Coops. All you do is to click on the numbers on the screen. The only key strokes are the account number and common knowledge question, but the password is just as above. How is this effected or is it safe ( what the hell is safe from these theives?)

Why isn't the punishment for these clowns to break their fingers. Then watch them on a keyboard. Oh I forgot voice recoginition, Ok slit their throats, that should slow them down [6][:-))][;-)]

Archived