Complete France Forum

OPTEX ORD 9540 Digi box - Astra 2A compatible ?

It's a long story, but I've had huge problems with a Metronic receiver which I now know does not work on a neighbour's dish.. So in the bin! I've now however moved my dish around, so I'm not sure whether I'm aligned.. I have a sat finder and am getting good sounds from it from near Astra 2A.

I've just bought an OPTEX ORD 9540 sat box and plugged it in. In setup mode, Astra 2A satelite is NOT listed, only Astra 1C, Hotbird etc..

A Google found a pdf which translated says it is compatible with any FTA channels. ( www.optex-normand.com/Downloaded%20Extensions/Catalogue/Satellite.pdf ). The box boasts 2500 channels.

Question - before I spend ANY more energy in tuning the box, if ASTRA 2A is not listed in the menu, am I wasting my time (and patience!)..

Many thanks for any help you might be able to offer..

Dont' worry about that - I've helped a couple of people with these boxes - I usually remove all the pre-installed stuff on these machines - then connect to your dish pointing at 28.2 east for the UK satellites and do a transponder search. This will load all the transponders being transmitted from 28.2. You can then start to load the channels you want- either by just letting the box receive them all, or just to FTA (Free to Air).

Because of the large amount of  'junk' channels I usually do a manual download - this saves having to remove the ones I don't want later. You will then have the time consuming issue of channel sorting which can turn in to an 'art'.

Any problems - came back and I'll try harder.

Regards - Tim

P.S. If you're not sure whether your dish is correctly aligned, it might be easier to start the part of the installation I've described on your neighbour's dish. At least then you will be able to confirm whether you are pointing at the right place in the sky.

Yes it will work.  The name of the sat makes no difference, it's just a way of labelling the channel you pick up.  Don't know this specific box but they're all more or less the same.  On an installation menu, you'll find something like 'add new sat' do that then select 'auto tune' and wait for 20 mins or so while it pulls in loads of channels (most will be encrypted or shopping channels) you may have an option to only select FTA if you're lucky.  As was said above, you may want Astra 2D not 2A but all the above applies.

Note, you don't have to 'add new sat' if you don't want, just  auto tune

Hi,

Very interested in this thread as SWMBO's Sky box is on its way out. There appear to be several DVB-S twin tuners on the market that include Visionic, Visiosat, Sedea and Optex amongst others.  Do these allow you to record Sky programmes that are FTA?  If not, is there an alternative to a Sky+ box? 

regards

Vern

Yes there are many boxes on the market that have a built in recorder (DVD or hard disk or both) or have an outlet fopr recording on your PC or DVD recorder.  They will not have the sky EPG  so setting a recording by program is not usually possible more than a day in advance, you can set by time of course.

Don't forget, Sky is not the only game in town, you don't have to give Murdoch any money.

[quote user="Bilbo"]Why do you want Astra2A ? I thought the english programmes were on Astra 2D at S28E ?

[/quote]

Sorry, you're right.. Getting all confused - up at 3am to drive a mate to Tolouse ariport zzzzzzzzzz....

OK, I'll persevere & get this one up and running :o)

Not all the UK originated channels are on Astra 2D - the UK channels are scattered over 5 satellites Astra 2A, 2B, 2C & 2D at 28.2 east - also Eurobird1 at 28.5 east. Most of the BBC and ITV channels are indeed on Astra 2D but the BBC radio stations are on Astra 2A for example.

In practise, in fact, this makes very little difference as a correctly aligned dish will receive channels from all these satellites.

Regards - Tim

• 1 month later...

Yes, it will receive radio stations - have you found the 'TV/Radio' button the remote control - silly question, perhaps.

Most of the BBC radio stations same frequency as BBC Parliament - so if you have that, you should get the radio stations.

Tim

[quote user="Timco"]

Yes, it will receive radio stations - have you found the 'TV/Radio' button the remote control - silly question, perhaps.[/quote]

I got that far.. The remote doesn't seem to have a 'radio' option, nor do I find the radio stations in the high channel numbers (which you find normally.. )

Hence my query!

Top row - Two Buttons - Mute and On Off

Next Row    1 2 3

Third Row    4 5 6

Forth Row    7 8 9

Fifth Row    Text Sub(titles)  0  EPG ( does nothing with Sky)

Sixth Row    TV   TV/RAD  Audio

The TV/RAD button is the one you want.

Does anybody know what the 'Audio' button described as 'Recherche des données multi audio' does ?

I'd guess that it's the language selection button. 

Less applicable on Astra 2 but many channels on other sats run VO and VD soundtracks,   ie original dialogue for the film buffs,   and a translation into the vernaculars.

I'd guess it would bring up an onscreen menu allowing you to choose the language option you want.    If there is no choice the button would not have any effect.

Wild guess though,  I don't know this model.

PS  Is it VO and VL?   Maybe VD was an Freudian anxiety display...?

[quote user="joidevie"]I could have sworn I checked ever button! I'm back in the UK for a bit, but all will be revealed in a couple of weeks.. Hmm, egg on faced possibility..
[/quote]

There was I admiring your persistance thinking you had spend all of December and most of Janaury trying to make the box work. The manual is available on line at

http://www.optex-normand.com/Downloaded%20Extensions/Notices/Notice_709510.pdf

Apart from the illustraion of the remote on page 8, is a useful map of Longitude on Latitude on page 16. I also prints in colour and at a decent size unlike the A3 pamplet that comes in the box. 

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]I'd guess that it's the language selection button. 

Less applicable on Astra 2 but many channels on other sats run VO and VD soundtracks,   ie original dialogue for the film buffs,   and a translation into the vernaculars.

I'd guess it would bring up an onscreen menu allowing you to choose the language option you want.    If there is no choice the button would not have any effect.

Wild guess though,  I don't know this model.

PS  Is it VO and VL?   Maybe VD was an Freudian anxiety display...?
[/quote]

I think some boxes call it AD - for Audio Description - that may reassure you about any 'possible' Freudian slip, Martin.[:$]

Tim

Archived