Complete France Forum

Orange Livebox defaults

Can anyone tell me the default username and password for an Orange Livebox.?

I've just reinstalled XP on a friends laptop and although it sees his livebox on WiFi it refuses to connect to saying the security PW is wrong when it most definately isn't, it's written on the Livebox label and I can read !

I tried to get in on ethernet instead to temporarily disable the security but it asks for a user name & PW which I don't have.

The user name is the string of letters and digits associated with the user's Orange account. It starts with fti/

The password is the password supplied by Orange for that user name.

Note that these are not the same as the Orange messagerie user name and password.

Hope that helps.

Errr, no.

Why would I. I've never heard of such a procedure to make a simple WiFi connection and I have made a few, it's WiFi not not Bluetooth !

Where is this button. The only button I recall is underneath by the power socket which I took to be a reset.

I cannot believe that this is a neccessary step anyway because it would infer that no laptop could connect to a Livebox without having physical access to it.

Now thats what I call a good security feature !

[quote user="Cjlaws"]The user name is the string of letters and digits associated with the user's Orange account. It starts with fti/
The password is the password supplied by Orange for that user name.
Note that these are not the same as the Orange messagerie user name and password.
Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Are you sure ?

I recall such a string on the paperwork my friend has but it never occured to me that it was the ID & PW to actually get into the Livebox configuration. I must admit time was a bit short but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I'm still mystified as to why it will not accept the correct 26 digit code as printed on the Livebox [8-)]

Thanks

Why would I. I've never heard of such a procedure..........

Well because you have to! Underneath the Livebox at the opposite end to the light button is a small black button, its not very big and does not stick out much.  You have to push that in to "identify" the PC to the Livebox, otherwise it will not accept the coding.  Forget logins and messagerie passwords, you are correct in what you are using for the log in to the Livebox, its the the Cle de securitie on the Livebox,  a 26 digit mixture of numbers and letters and you have to get it right,  twice.

The Livebox does not need a password or user name, that is after you get the thing to connect!!! 

Yes Ernie, its called pairing and is part of the security system and to activate it you have to press that button.

You have to identify the Livebox to the wi-fi dongle or internal modem that you are using, it makes sure that any old PC or dongle cannot access your internet connection.  Try reading the http://zxon.notnet.co.uk/orange/3rdparty_xpsp2.html if you don't believe me.

So there's your answer Ernie

Click the "Access to the configuration pages" link and then type in the

username and password FOR THE LIVEBOX, not your broadband account.

If you haven't changed this already, the default values are:

User name: admin

Password: admin

[quote user="Cjlaws"]So there's your answer Ernie

Click the "Access to the configuration pages" link and then type in the username and password FOR THE LIVEBOX, not your broadband account.

[/quote]

Orange in the UK do not provide a wireless adaptor anymore with their liveboxes, if you want one you have to buy one, so on their website they do not show the method for configuring a wireless connection.  AFAIK CJL, what you have described above is the method of connection to a Livebox using a wire, not the wireless one that has to be paired as I described.  Its not a piece of junk Ernie, you just need to follow the simple instructions in pictures they give you with the box.[:P]

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="Cjlaws"]So there's your answer Ernie

Click the "Access to the configuration pages" link and then type in the username and password FOR THE LIVEBOX, not your broadband account.

[/quote]

Orange in the UK do not provide a wireless adaptor anymore with their liveboxes, if you want one you have to buy one, so on their website they do not show the method for configuring a wireless connection.  AFAIK CJL, what you have described above is the method of connection to a Livebox using a wire, not the wireless one that has to be paired as I described.  Its not a piece of junk Ernie, you just need to follow the simple instructions in pictures they give you with the box.[:P]

[/quote]

Ron - You might at least have read the link you posted. The image I posted comes straight from it, and shows the default user name and password that Ernie asked for.

No, Orange do not provide a wireless adaptor with a Livebox. They never have done. Most computers have built-in wireless adaptors these days.

No squabbling now please [:D]

Been back today and still no joy on WiFi but I have got them connected over ethernet which they are perfectly happy with.

I did get into the Livebox eventually. Unfortunately, because it had been originally setup by a 3rd party, the password had been changed from the default admin (I'd tried that BTW, forgot to mention earlier) but after much hunting it was found.

Ron, I call the Livebox "junk" because so many people seem to have endless problems with them, not just in France but in the UK also. My neighbour is on about his 5th. Fair enough I believe 2 got taken out by lightning but the others have just spontaneously given up. The only mitigating factor is that FT seem to be happy to swap them out on demand.

Hello

I've only ever had to press 'The button' when connecting obscure things like my sons new WII which wouldn't connect without said button being pressed, you had to try and connect within 20 seconds of it being pressed too, after that it was happy.  For a straight XP WIFI connection I haven't had to press the button at all. 

Ernie is there any chance that some security conscious bod has changed all access codes to the livebox, as they had changed the default admin access after all!

Panda

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="Cjlaws"]No, Orange do not provide a wireless adaptor with a Livebox. They never have done. [/quote]

They did in France when we were with Orange/FT.[8-)]

[/quote]

Trust me to open my big mouth. I forgot about the little wireless adaptor which came with mine [:$]

Ernie - you can reset the Livebox to default settings like this:

How do I Factory Reset my Livebox?

Remember:

Doing this will bring the Livebox back to it's factory default

settings. Any reconfigurations you've made to the Livebox (including

username and password, wireless and firewall configurations) will be

LOST!

• Pull the power lead out of the livebox (leaving it still plugged into the wall socket)
  • Hold down the 1 button on the back of the Livebox
  • Plug the power lead back into the Livebox
  • Keep holding the 1 button for 10 seconds after you have plugged the power lead back in, and then let go.
  • Give the Livebox about 2 minutes to reboot itself.

This is the button you use to reset (circled).

As I said earlier, I've got them working on ethernet so I'll leave it like that for now but I think the box could benefit from a complete reset.

I noticed that Mac address filtering was ON as well which could be a contributing factor but as the same time it's exactly the same laptop, and therefore the same Mac address, so it shouldn't be !

PS:

There is no button which looks like your pictutre CJ but there is one marked RST, there are presumably different versions.

The buttons are different Ernie because what you are being told is from the UK instructions for a UK installation to Orange UK using a cable. I have not posted any links, only used a quote from CJL.

In addition the Livebox in the UK is a different make to the one used in France. Orange France use the Sagem, which has the same buttons but in different places.

So that you know I am not making this up, if you do want to connect Wi-Fi which after all is what the Livebox is for, from the Orange France leaflet for French installations of computers to Orange France already equipped with Wi-Fi:

" PC.  Step 2 Appuyez  sur le bouton d'association situe a l'arriere de votre Livebox. Lorsque votre livebox est en mode Association .  La diode Wi- Fi chignote.  Votre Live box reste dans ce mode pendant 10 minutes. 

In the Association window you then enter your security code. 

I do believe you now Ron although I still find it bizarre but there you go, that's just me, a simple fellow who likes to keep things on a KISS footing [:D]

I carried out the procedure as described and although the laptop connects to the livebox Windows announces "limited or no connectivity" which actually is precisely the same result as when I didn't press it [blink]

Ernie

That sometimes comes up when the signal strength is weak.  If you have small TV screen icon in the bottom right hand corner or in control panel click on network connections, you can see if you are connected and from the menus there check your connection and/or repair it.

Thanks for the tip Ron but I am a little more advanced in computers than you give me credit for, it's just this rotton horrible Livebox which is vexing me. When I reinstalled XP on the laptop it connected to my own router instantly which is how it should be, not a ruddy obstacle course. Admittedly my poor French skills are a handicap [:$]

A full reset is probably the answer but I've run out of time as I'm back to work offshore today.

They are online which is all that really matters for now, besides which, my friend tells me that the guy who set it up for him in the first place is visiting soon so I'll let him sort it out.

Cheers

I am aware of your IT knowledge Ernie, its the foibles that you get with the Livebox system and set up that I was pointing out. having installed several and sorting out friends problems as well you soon discover these.

You are right it should be a straight reinstall after a software change, but the Livebox does have good security controls and they can sometimes be a pain, its a bit worrying to have limited connectivity through a wire though.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

its a bit worrying to have limited connectivity through a wire though.

[/quote]No offence taken Ron. This is my first extended play with one.

I did not have any problems with the ethernet side (other than the PW to get into the box that is) which I wanted to do to check the WiFi config.

Archived