Complete France Forum

Orange webmail

Is anyone else having problems with Orange webmail?

The Orange website reports that there have been some 'peturbations' recently but seems to imply that they're fixed now. I've written to the support people and had an ackowledgement but I've been unable to access my messagerie for over 10 days. My normal mail is arriving as usual via Outlook, but I have a 'liste rouge' defined on the Orange server and I am unable to get in to check the 'indesirables' box. Very frustrating!

Sid

I haven't checked mine for a couple of days Sid, but after reading about your problems I've had a quick look and mine is working just fine. I'm not sure where that leaves you - good luck.

Tim

Well, I tried it quickly on  IE7 - no problem - that's on the Vista laptop. I'm now downstairs on an XP maxhine - also with IE7 - again no problems - and I was just about to fire up the Linux machine with Firefox when I read you were now ok, so I won't bother now.

Tim

Tim and Ricandjo

Well, I'm not entirely sorted out yet. When I try it via IE7 (from a favourites link) it takes me to the Orange welcome page with my username already displayed, that is, I don't have to log-in. I assume this is because either a) I have a cookie set up from a previous visit or b) a registry entry. I've searched for both and can't find them! So how does it 'know' who I am?

And there's no 'log-out' button as far as I can see.

Ernie

I tried your link and just get 'you have no messages' but there is stuff in 'indesirables' ... I can see those via Firefox.

Perplexed.

Sid

[quote user="sid"]Ernie

I tried your link and just get 'you have no messages' but there is stuff in 'indesirables' ... I can see those via Firefox.

[/quote]Sounds like Orange has automatically filtered your 'indesirables' into another folder but Mail2Web cannot read those, only your inbox.

[quote user="sid"]

When I try it via IE7 (from a favourites link) it takes me to the Orange welcome page with my username already displayed, that is, I don't have to log-in. I assume this is because either a) I have a cookie set up from a previous visit or b) a registry entry. I've searched for both and can't find them! So how does it 'know' who I am?

[/quote]

I think your problem is that you're using a favourites link or bookmark which is using a recently defunct url. If the bookmark you are using has webmail26a in the "address" line, it no longer works. The problem seems to be the a. If you click on the messagerie tab when you get the unavailable message, you should be taken to your inbox at which point you bookmark the new address.

Otoh, this may not be your problem at all. In which case... good luck. [;-)]

[quote user="sid"]

Tim and Ricandjo

Well, I'm not entirely sorted out yet. When I try it via IE7 (from a favourites link) it takes me to the Orange welcome page with my username already displayed, that is, I don't have to log-in. I assume this is because either a) I have a cookie set up from a previous visit or b) a registry entry. I've searched for both and can't find them! So how does it 'know' who I am?

And there's no 'log-out' button as far as I can see.

Ernie

Perplexed.

Sid

[/quote]

Sid, I've been a bit busy and have logged in again this morning to read your updates.

What problems are you having now - you say you can get to your 'home page' (by the way, if you are using IE7 there is an icon for the home page - looks like a little house). Can you see your 'Messagerie' page. If so, you should be able to see your received messages and your indesirables etc. You should be able to see all this whether using IE7 or Firefox.

Tim

Tim

I'm sorry, I didn't explain it properly. This isn't a major issue, by the way, it just irritates me and I'm trying to understand how it's happening. And to answer Tenniswitch's query, no I haven't deleted all cookies, and that will be my next course of action. I'll let you know.

So, what happens is, I fire up IE7, type www.orange.fr in the address bar at the top (or use my favourites link which has the same address) and hit enter, up comes the welcome page for Orange BUT my username is already showing in the heading. So I've been recognised! When I then click on the 'messagerie' link, the bottom half of the page goes completely blank and the address bar at the bottom shows

"waiting for http://www.orange.fr/walledgarden/bin/walledgarden.cgi?url=http://webmail.orange.fr/webmail/fr_FR/inbox"

(phew, had to type that I couldn't cut and paste!!).

I leave it for ages... (over 2 hours yesterday because I got called away from the pc), and it never displays anything more.

I'm now going to clear ALL cookies as Tenniswitch suggested, a real pain because I'll have to enter logins and usernames on loads of sites again, but I'm hoping this clear it.

What I really want to know is HOW Orange knows it's me browsing their site; is it a cookie? If so I couldn't find it!

Here goes

Sid

Well, I stand corrected on this one Sid, but the way I understand it is - if you are using Dial-up, then your 'parameters' are sent when your system tries to log-in.

On ADSL which I assume you are using, then your parameters would be stored in your modem/router. They would have been entered on the initial setup. I don't know whether you used the Orange supplied disc or not, but again, I assume your details were on the disc when you first installed your broadband. I say I assume this because although Orange sent me a disc, I didn't use it and set my modem/router up manually.

Because all these details are stored in the modem/router it makes things easier, of course, when hooking up another computer - i.e. you don't have to enter all the details all over again.

As far as loading the messagerie page is concerned, well, I know it can take some time to load the page, it has never taken that long for me.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much - Tim

I do not have a Livebox (praise be !) and my experiences with them have been unedifying but thankfully brief.

I have a notion in my head that when you run the setup from the CD there is somewhere along the way when you enter your messagerie ID & PW ?

Also you can go directly into it on by typing 192.168.1.1 in IE7 then if you find the page where the ID/PW are there may be a box to tick "Remember Me"

If the box itself asks for a user ID & PW to allow you in it should be admin / admin

I may of course be completely and utterly wrong [blink] 

No Ernie, I think you're right - I'm using a Netgear and you've described pretty much what I had to do - although it's a couple of years ago now and I've not had to go back to the setup since the first day.

I know what you mean about Liveboxes, although, to be fair, I've helped a couple of friends recently with their installations and have experienced no problems with either (touching wood now) - perhaps they've improved??

Tim

No Livebox guys. I'm using a Netgear ADSL modem/router and I set up the system manually (no Wanadoo/Orange software set up).

I didn't think about the details being stored in the router to be honest, so I'll go there next. Well, later this evening 'cos I have to go out now!!

Oh, and with Firefox the 'messagerie' works immediately. I just feel there is something I'm overlooking with IE7. If I remove the log-in details from the router I presumably won't be able to connect to the internet? Seems to be a vicious circle.

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

Bu**er! Cleared all cookies and it's still the same!

Any suggestions?

Sid

[/quote]

Oh, I am sorry, because that's way too much trouble to do to no avail.

First, I haven't a clue as to your problem because I can't duplicate it.  When I'm in France (with Orange as my ISP), I've noticed that the system keeps me logged in to Orange (and I, too, use a Netgear modem/router), but when I'm in the US (as now), I'm automatically logged out every time I close the Orange tab.

But all this talk about modems has made me wonder: have you tried rebooting your modem and router (or modem/router if it's just one gizmo like mine)?  I know it sounds ridiculous, but a US IP tech once told me that simply turning off your whole system, unplugging the modem for about 30 seconds, plugging it back in and rebooting and then rebooting your computer will sometimes clear up these weird little connection problems.

It has frequently worked for me (although I've most often tried it for general connection problems).

Anyway, it's a lot less trouble that deleting your cookies.

I've tried rebooting the Router... no change! [:(]

I don't understand how this works! If the login info is stored in my router, and entering www.orange.fr automatically logs me into orange then surely anyone using my wireless network (or LAN cable connection) would also get the same page and would have access to my mail? That doesn't sound very secure.

AND if I remove the details from my router then I won't be able to access the internet at all (or will I ???)

Surely there's something on my pc too?

The Cookie clearout isn't an issue thanks [:)] I'll re-nter as and when required, it was surprising how much stuff it got rid of!! 

The problem now is not accessing my mail but just understanding what's happening! [:-))] I can access 'messagerie' via Firefox.

Sid

Archived