Complete France Forum

Best French telephone package?

Can anybody help please?

I have a line to my house, but it is not connected. We tend to be at our French house for about a couple of weeks every other month. Whilst my French skills are reasonable, they are not fluent.

Is there a relatively simple (English speaking) way of getting connected and what is the best package to go for? (I would want to call the UK quite a bit when I am in France and eventually connect a PC.)

And can I make arrangements from the UK?

Thanks,

Mel                  Multitasking

J & D - Thanks...

Eventually I would connect a PC and want Broadband (which I know is available in our village).

However, for now, my priority is getting connected and having a telephone in the house. I seem to recall somebody posting something on here some time back about a flexible rental package where they did not have to pay when the house was unoccupied?

Mel             French Flag

Hi

I have found this the other day, its for residence secondaires and it can be suspended upto 6 times a year,it seems really flexible, and the beauty is that it looks like you can activate it from home before you go by typing in your phone number and then a confidential code, so that it will be all on, for when you arrive.All for 16 euros a month!!

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/mx/?tp=F&ref=3500&IDCible=1&type=3&sv=5-186389_B

Regards

Jacqui

I have to admit up front to not having read the link, but we only pay 32 euros every 2 months for FT line rental anyhow, hence unless this offer at 16 euros a month offers something else which I'm not aware of, then to my mind you may as well pay the 32 every 2 months and not worry about activating it for each visit / return.

Richard

The trick is to get France Telecom to believe that they actually provide this service to those with a Maison Premiere in another country.

How did you do it?

I spent the best part of an hour in the office in Limoges trying to get this service and was told that as my primary residence is in England, they can't do it.

I know about the english speaking helpline (that is forever engaged), so any other suggestions?

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]The trick is to get France Telecom to believe that they actually provide this service to those with a Maison Premiere in another country.

How did you do it?

I spent the best part of an hour in the office in Limoges trying to get this service and was told that as my primary residence is in England, they can't do it.

I know about the english speaking helpline (that is forever engaged), so any other suggestions?

[/quote]

We have 2 maisons secondaire in France.  When we bought the first one, the DH went to the FT office and told them he wanted maison secondaire service & they signed us up for it.  There was never any question of our having a primary residence in France.  We have our payments preleved, but have always received our communications and bills from FT at our US address.

I went to the FT office to sign us up for the 2nd maison secondaire.  I explained in my dreadful French what we wanted, and the FT rep said that was okay, but her computer kept showing our new number as a maison primaire.  I pointed this out to her and she said, no problem, she would fix it.

When the account showed up online, it was still showing as a maison primaire, so I called the English help line early in the morning & after a short wait (I must have hit it lucky) explained that we had asked for maison secondaire service.  By the next day, it showed up in our account as a maison secondaire.

What can I say?  I guess it depends on whom you talk to.

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]The trick is to get France Telecom to believe that they actually provide this service to those with a Maison Premiere in another country.

How did you do it?

[/quote]

We have 2 maisons secondaire in France.  When we bought the first one, the DH went to the FT office and told them he wanted maison secondaire service & they signed us up for it.  There was never any question of our having a primary residence in France.  We have our payments preleved, but have always received our communications and bills from FT at our US address.

I went to the FT office to sign us up for the 2nd maison secondaire.  I explained in my dreadful French what we wanted, and the FT rep said that was okay, but her computer kept showing our new number as a maison primaire.  I pointed this out to her and she said, no problem, she would fix it.

When the account showed up online, it was still showing as a maison primaire, so I called the English help line early in the morning & after a short wait (I must have hit it lucky) explained that we had asked for maison secondaire service.  By the next day, it showed up in our account as a maison secondaire.

What can I say?  I guess it depends on whom you talk to.

[quote user="Bilbo"]Does anyone know if the 'suspend it when you are not there' service applies to internet charges as well i.e. can these be suspended while the line is not in use?
[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, this service only applies to phone lines in second homes.

Danny

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

[quote user="Mel"]Question MarkPS - What is Broadband called in France?[/quote]

haut débit

Danny

[/quote]

Nice one, Danny.  Raised a smile for sure.  But, don't listen to him, it's called ADSL. [/quote]

and also haut débit: as demonstrated by orange.fr

Sue

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

[quote user="Mel"]PS - What is Broadband called in France?[/quote]

haut débit

Danny

[/quote]

Nice one, Danny.  Raised a smile for sure.  But, don't listen to him, it's called ADSL.

[/quote]

Not quite sure what you mean, sweet 17. What raised a smile exactly? perhaps you could explain.

Mel asked what Broadband is called in France and I answered with haut débit. I think that is an accurate translation. Broadband (and Haut débit) refers to fast speed internet - faster than dial up modem. ADSL is normally called ADSL in France and it is one form of broadband or Haut débit. There are many other technologies which would be classed as Broadband - see here for some examples

très haut débit  surpasses speeds available by ADSL

Danny

Apologies, Danny and thanks for explaining the different types of broadband.  I'm just an ignorant technophobe.

On other threads, I have complained at some length about money owed to me by FT and now it looks like no hope of a rebate (after 4 letters and about 20 phone calls).

As for haut debit, my warped sense of humour translated that has "high" debit, that is, lots of dosh off your bank account by direct debit.  Not the right explanation, I know, just seems that way to me in my embittered state!

Roll on April when I can give FT their month's written notice to finish with their broadband services and onwards with the search for a cheaper alternative (if there is one?)

Happy Easter or joyeuses pacques (and I hope that's the right translation this time)

Archived