Complete France Forum

Dongle and no landline

My sister is about to move to southern Spain where currently there is no landline and it looks as if it will be a long time before she can get one.

Not having an internet access will be a nightmare for her.

I have been reading about Dongles and have been told that with one she can get internet access via satellite or whatever.

Is this true.

Also, if it is true, I might well dump my landline here in France as the only reason I have it is for my broadband connection as I use Skype, or if necessary, my mobile for all my calls.

I cant keep up with all the new technology so am hoping that some of you youngsters out there, or oldies who have kept their brains going, for some help and advice.

Thanks in advance

Carole

I guess you mean a GPRS or 3G adapter that plugs into your computer & connects to the mobile telephone networks.

These are available from most of the French mobile phone companies, see http://www.sfrentreprises.fr/solutions/solutions-data/terminaux-sfr-global-access/cle-3g.jsp for the SFR offering.

EDIT

With the UK mobile phone companies, it is against their 'Terms & Conditions' to use 3G or GPRS for VoIP phone calls, I don't know, a) how they know, b) If the French companies have the same restrictions.

If your sister can get one from Spain then I guess it will work out cheap enough.  Mine is a UK Vodafone 3g broadband modem which is pretty good.  Never had any issues using it for Skype, which I do a lot.

When I'm in the UK I can use it for no extra fee.  Using it abroad incurrs an additiona £10 per 24hrs fee on top of the £25 per month line rental.  I could pay £100 per month to have it and use it worldwide as much as I want but for me casual use is enough.

I expect if you can get the same deal from Spanish mobile network it will work out relatively cheap.  They're very good by the way but you need to be in a 3g area - check that first!

Archived