Complete France Forum

Using gaming type monitor as a TV ?

I'm looking at buying a TV and old cathode models are becoming more difficult to find.. So I thought about biting the bullet & going LCD. Looking at prices, you can pay quite a lot!

I found a UK "Samsung SM2032" 20 inch with built in (analogue tuner built in) TV/Monitor for £200, but a similar Samsung 'syncmaster' 22 inch (without any tuner built in)  on Amazon France for €250 ..

Seeing as I'm only using either a freeview type box or a sat decoder, is there any good reason to buy a 'proper' TV, or is a monitor just as good & usable ?

Is there an issue with connectivity etc ?

Many thanks

What you propose is a good way to go as the screen will be capable of a high resolution (whether your sat box can supply high res is another matter) Anyway, the screen may have a scart connector (unlikely but maybe) in which case you just connect it as usual but more likely it will be Composite Video In so you just need a scart-to-composite cable and use the yellow connector for video.  You realise of course that the screen won't have any audio capabilities? But no probs, just plug the red and white leads from the composite cable to your hi-fi amp - job done!

Archived