Complete France Forum

FT/Orange warranty cellphone replacement question(s)

My FT/Orange cellphone (formule d'abonnement - Initial sans engagement) inexplicably died in less than 1 week.

After being misinformed by telephone and making one unnecessary trip to the nearest FT/Orange store (where I was further misinformed), I think I've arranged for a replacement to be delivered tomorrow morning.  (The uncertainty is due to my, unfortunately, very limited abilities with the French language.)

The FT agent I spoke with today mentioned something that I didn't completely understand about the "enregistrement" of the new phone.  That is, I understand that I'll have to register the IMEI number of the new phone, but haven't a clue as to how to do it. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this via internet rather than by telephone, as, if not, I'm in serious trouble?  And, also if there's anywhere on the FT/Orange website that I might find some detailed instructions?  I've looked, but haven't found any.  BTW, I read French much better than I speak it (or than I comprehend spoken French, especially by telephone).

I'm now headed to the telephone manufacturer's website to see if I can find instructions for removing the SIM card from the old phone and installing it into the new one.

Don't worry this is very simple.  The phone network has to know about the phone (else its just an expensive electronic Mars Bar) If you have an existing SIM then just slide it out of the old phone and put it in the new one and probably have to do nothing else.  In the event that the phone has to be registered, it is just a matter of calling a number that you will be given and it will all happen automatically, you don't even talk to anyone.  If in any doubt, the phone shop will gladly do it for you.  After registration (if needed) you will have to wait an hour or two for it to take affect and the phone network to update then use the phone as normal.

Thanks, Pierre, it did go very simply.  FT sent someone out with the new phone and she transferred the SIM card and installed the battery in the new one.

I mentioned something about enregistrement to her and go only a quizzical look in return, but the phone is working, so I assume there's nothing further that I must do.

Other than figuring out how to configure my Orange Voicemail account and pick up messages- something I hadn't gotten around to doing on the original phone.

Archived