Complete France Forum

Calling UK numbers beginning with 08 from Neuf Cegetel line

Since we moved to Neuf we have been unable to call UK numbers beginning with 08. e.g. 0845 & 0800. When we were with France Telecom, we eventually discovered that instead of starting with 00 44 plus the number, we had to preface the number with 80 44. I have just wasted 30 (expensive) minutes on the phone to Neuf. I explained the problem and asked them whether they had a similar system. The person I talked to was totally clueless and eventually suggested that I might like to call again rather than waiting. I said I'd wait and he then kept me hanging on for 15 minutes, at whcih point I hung up, assuming that he never planned to pick up my call again.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Someone told me a while ago that it was illegal to withold the information about how to call 0800 & 0845 numbers abroad. For most numbers, we have managed to find an alternative to call, but on principal, I believe that Neuf should supply the information.

Neuf seem to be getting themselves something of a bad reputation here - see the recent threads on "Lettre Recommandé refused" and "ADSL Price Increase".

As Ron says,  rather than battling with Neuf on a premium rate number,  try and find a "saynoto0870" alternative.   It's better for your blood pressure (and I speak from experience).

I think we eventually discovered that Club Internet (now part of Neuf) charged €0.99 per minute for the pleasure of 0870/0845.   Needless to say we didin't avail ourselves of the opportunity to line their coffers,

yes - thankyou we already use the 'saynoto0870' - but on occasions we haven't been able to find an alternative. Neuf now works very well but their assistance is dire.

In extremis, I shall just have to use my mobile.

All my VOIP calls to UK are free. I pay €5/mth for this. I need it because the amount of time 'er indoors spends on the phone to her nutty sister would bankrupt me otherwise [:-))]

From Teleconnect's T&C's    http://www.teleconnect.fr/Pages/Internet/Internet.aspx

FREE PHONE CALLS: with Teleconnect AngloPack, just plug your regular phone (fixed or wireless) into the modem and you're set to make calls at Teleconnect's low everyday rates*. You get 120 free minutes each month to fixed lines in the UK, Ireland, and Australia, and to both mobile and fixed lines in the USA and Canada. If you want UNLIMITED calls to these destinations; it's only €5 more per month. You can also opt for UNLIMITED local and national calling for also €5 per month. In addition, a 2-hours plan to fixed lines in 40 other countries can be added for only €3 (giving you a super-low rate of only 2.5 cents/min.)

Ernie, you might want to double check that the 08xx numbers are included in the free voip calls

from this page http://download.teleconnect.fr/PDF/Residential_Rates.pdf

United Kingdom - personal n°  - 1.08
United Kingdom - GSM   - 0.34
United Kingdom - premium n°  - 0.25

call costs per minute

it is not very clear to me whether premium numbers are included or not in your £5 deal

Danny

Ernie - I have teleconnect and pay the extra 5 euro for unlimited calls to the UK. I think you will find that 08xx numbers are not included (like mobile numbers are not included). Also I think you may get through to 0800 numbers (paying extra on your bill) but not to 0845 numbers. I know this from trying to phone UK tax office this week and the number is not accepted. I had to trawl through the internet to try and find an non-0845 number.

Nell, whilst I don't often call 0845's or 0870's I have done so in the past and have got through so why you're having difficulty I couldn't say. I don't understand why you say an 0800 should be extra on my bill ?

I'll ask 'er indoors to check through our bills and see if there has been any charges for any 08 numbers.

Archived