Complete France Forum

Using VLC player to stream

I've worked out how to get VLC player to stream a movie that's on my pc and watch it on my laptop (not that I need to do that as I would normally watch it over the network anyway).

What I really want it to do is stream tv. I have a scart cable coming out of my sky box and this goes into the video input on my tv card in my pc and sound into the sound card. I can watch tv using VLC player. This is fine. However, when I use the same technique to stream this to my lappy, it does not work. I get nothing on the laptop. I use directshow on VLC player (the fourth tab) and have selected my tv card and sound card, and then send this to the stream.

All networks connections are fine, as I can stream a file, so it's not that. To sum up, I can stream a file, but not tv coming into my pc.

The closest I have got is to record (or save) the tv programme as a file to my hard drive and then on my laptop open that file on VLC player. It does work, but it is very choppy and not really watchable.

Anyone have any experience with this? I've googled the problem, but not got anything that makes any sense back.

Archived