Complete France Forum

On the BBC news this morning there is a piece about 100mb BB becoming available in UK soon, 50mb is already available via some cable operators. The question I ask myself is, outside of the big business world and the diehard gamers and movie pirates just who need this sort of performance ?

OK faster is always welcome but do you really need it, in the majority of cases probably not. It's hard to find any justification for the domestic consumer.

In UK I had a full blown 8mb and have dropped to 2mb here in France but I don't find it really hampers me at all. I get my TV via Sky so don't need a fast connection for that and what downloading I do I can schedule for a convenient time, i.e. overnight.

Frankly I think the money being spent on pandering to a very small minority with this level of service would be far better used on providing a decent and adequate service for the majority.

Similar applies in France too I think. It was mentioned (not for the first time) that UK is falling behind other EU countries, France, or rather Paris, being specifically mentioned, but outside of the big cities I don't think on average that the BB situation in France is any better than rural UK and in fact, with the greater size and significantly lower population density of France, there will certainly be many many more unable to get any sort of BB service at all.

There are loads of applications that would open up in the event of faster / more bandwidth.  Some of which we probably haven't even thought of yet.  Interactive TV is the obvious one, but streaming video in the form of telephone calls, education, the radio and music also spring to mind. 

I am in the process of learning a new skill to do with my computer and I am doing it via webinars (online seminars which are like lectures where the tutor speaks in real time and writes on his "board" and we listen and can respond with questions or comments).  It makes all sorts of this possible to all sorts of people.

You may be right but whilst the average D/L speed in UK is a miserable 2.7mb as I say surely far better to try and up the game for everybody before investing mega bucks on blistering services which nobody needs. If businesses want this then let them pay for a private leased line or for fiber to be installed.

Your 'webinars' sound interesting but would probably run quite happily on 2mb BTW. 

Archived