Complete France Forum

Will BBC iPlayer kill the Internet

You cannoty view BBC I player from a non UK location Claire but it appears the BBC are going to have to rethink I Player anyway.  From today's  media sections.: 

Hackers have managed to circumvent the BBC's anti-piracy systems to gain unrestricted access to the programmes on the corporation's iPlayer internet TV service.

The loophole potentially allows millions of people to download television shows on to their computers without any copyright protection.

The iPlayer system, which lets surfers watch BBC videos online in a similar way to websites such as YouTube, has proved massively popular since it launched late last year. Shows such as Top Gear and Doctor Who can be watched over the web or downloaded to a computer for viewing at a later point.

When developing the iPlayer, however, the BBC agreed to include anti-piracy measures in all programmes in order to appease TV production companies and broadcasting unions. The addition of so-called digital rights management (DRM) software means new shows disappear from the website after one week, and files downloaded on to a computer have a 30-day expiry date. After the limit is reached, the videos are no longer viewable"

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]From Ernie's link - ""The option for the ISP is either to allow a degradation in performance or order more capacity.""

Bet I can guess which one they'll choose [:)]
[/quote]You old cynic you.

Interesting statistic: despite headline grabbing offers of (up to) 8mb the average speed in UK is apparently only around 2mb [geek]

There are a plethora of such sites Cat, unfortunately though, in my personal experience anyway, internet frog is about the worst for accuracy. It consistently reports me as 512kb when I have a solid 2mb [:-))].

Others will have their own favourites, (perhaps the ones which give the result they are hoping for.........[;-)]) but to properly gauge your speed you need to average out the results from a number of different test sites such as on THIS list.

A far more accurate method is to go HERE and physically time it takes to download one of the test files.

As rough benchmark on my 2mb connection either of the 10mb files come down in approximately 45 seconds.

The one thing I don't think any of the sites will do is tell you you have a HIGHER speed than in reality.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]There's a nice uktv site which is great for seeing programmes other people have recorded that you may have missed. Lots of golden oldie shows on there too which are our main interest. Easier than bbciplayer.
[/quote]

Do you want to tell us what it is then?

[quote user="ErnieY"]

There are a plethora of such sites Cat, unfortunately though, in my personal experience anyway, internet frog is about the worst for accuracy. It consistently reports me as 512kb when I have a solid 2mb [:-))].

Others will have their own favourites, (perhaps the ones which give the result they are hoping for.........[;-)]) but to properly gauge your speed you need to average out the results from a number of different test sites such as on THIS list.

A far more accurate method is to go HERE and physically time it takes to download one of the test files.

As rough benchmark on my 2mb connection either of the 10mb files come down in approximately 45 seconds.

The one thing I don't think any of the sites will do is tell you you have a HIGHER speed than in reality.

[/quote]

Cor blimey Ernie see what you mean, Cat's site says my roadband is about 750kbs whereas one of the ones on your list said I have 1.5mb!!!!

[quote user="oscar"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]There's a nice uktv site which is great for seeing programmes other people have recorded that you may have missed. Lots of golden oldie shows on there too which are our main interest. Easier than bbciplayer.

[/quote]

Do you want to tell us what it is then?

[/quote]

Sorry, thebox.bz

Hi,

Just visited your  uktv site and it advised that it had reached capacity ( 60,000) and would now only accept newbies by recomendation from a friend ! Can you give us some info on how to do this ?

Thanks

I'm not a regular enough user to be allowed to give out invitations unfortunately. I suggest keep trying a few times a week until you get on, as there's accounts being closed often (mainly due to inactiveness).

There's another site that is similar which you might have better luck with getting into, uknova.com. Again this is UKtv programmes only too.

• 2 months later...

If you want to use BBC iplayer outside UK, you need to log in to a free proxy server in the UK, BBCi recognises your IP address as outside UK, thru a UK proxy server it sees a UK IP address.

Although I understand it willbe available worldwide in the near future,once they sort out their contractual difficulties.

Archived