Complete France Forum

Getting a phone line

I have a cottage separate to our house but on the same land which I rent out during the summer months. This year i'd like to do a winter let for 6 months and would therefore like to have a telephone line installed. How do I go about this please? I understand that i'd need to contact France Telecom but how will the billing process work? The cottage has no separate billing address and therefore i'm worried that I might end up with an unpaid bill in my name under my address. How does everyone else manage when they let their gites out? Does everyone have telephone lines installed? Also, once the letting has terminated, can I disconnect the line to avoid paying line rental?

Thanks for you help

[quote user="Magnolia"]

I have a cottage separate to our house but on the same land which I rent out during the summer months. This year i'd like to do a winter let for 6 months and would therefore like to have a telephone line installed. How do I go about this please? I understand that i'd need to contact France Telecom but how will the billing process work? The cottage has no separate billing address and therefore i'm worried that I might end up with an unpaid bill in my name under my address. How does everyone else manage when they let their gites out? Does everyone have telephone lines installed? Also, once the letting has terminated, can I disconnect the line to avoid paying line rental?

Thanks for you help

[/quote]

Quite simply, go to your local FT office and explain it to them. It isn't a problem. We have 2 phone lines in the same property - 2 seperate numbers, 2 bills....

As for disconnecting at the end of the summer, there is a "special" line that you can do this with, otherwise it would be down to the contract you have with FT. BTW, the responsibility for the calls lies with the person whose name is on the bill - you could get your tenants to take out a line in their name, but I doubt if FT would allow that for just 6 months.

You gets yer money, you accept the risks....

Archived