Complete France Forum

recently become degroupee, but internet speed is still slow?

Hi. i'm with free.fr. I've always had a download speed of about 2mb/s, but now i'm degroupee, i would expect speeds of at least 10mb. Any ideas, if i need to update something? There's a video on the free website, explaing how to remove a white box inside telephone/wall connecter, but that seems a bit drastic. Also still can't get tv to work through the box, suggesting something aint working properly.

thanks

Are you sure that you are fully degroupee, and not simply buying an inclusive package with no FT rental?

Full degroupage is usually only available in or near the larger towns and cities. If you are in a more rural area then going degroupee will make no difference to your speed of connection, it will simply save you the 16 euros per month rental charge.

PS in the rural areas you are unlikely to get the TV service .

Thanks for replies. I now have the option of degroupage, and sifting through the small print, I think I will need to pay a one off 90 euros, so that free, take over the FT line. Not sure if they supply a new free box, or if my speed will pick up, when i agree to the changes. I just assumed the changes would be automatic, as with the benefits of tv and increased speed.. Feel a bit conned. The line to the house was changed a couple of weeks ago, and i get the impression if you agree to the changes before the switch, you only pay half!

See the graph below.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg[/IMG]

If your previous speed was 2mb it suggests that your line is approaching 5km in which case it is simply physically impossible to leap to 10mb+.

Even if Free have put you on ADSL2+ to get 10mb you would already have had some 7mb on ADSL.

Even though you say your line has been changed unless it was in a particularly parlous state or has been rerouted over a shorter distance then in itself this will have an incremental rather than a quantum effect.

What are/were your statistics according to Degrouptest ?

[quote user="richyrich2"]

.....how to remove a white box inside telephone/wall connecter, but that seems a bit drastic. thanks

[/quote]

This'll be the condenser/capacitor which is apparently redundant these days but can interfere with the action of the broadband filter. 

Sid

Thanks. Intersting graph.. Just did the degroupee test too. Seems it makes no difference, as over 4km from exchange. Well at least i don't have to waste 90 euros!

Offre :

Freebox, Total Freebox, ou Total Freebox sur numéro inactif
Service Télévision :service Télévision disponible
Service Téléphonie :disponible
Dégroupage :zone dégroupée
Modem :Freebox Version 5 HD (ADSL2+)
Répartiteur :CHAMONIX MT BLANC (CHX74)
Longueur :4057 m
Atténuation :

49 dB

Interstingly free still claim to offer the tv servives, though none of the other ISP's do! The download speed still remains around 2mb for all of them.

Archived