Complete France Forum

I get bombarded with relatives of deceased rich Nigerian dictators, who in their lifetime have salted away millions of pounds and their relatives need access to a bank account - mine - in order to get the money.  And I can have half of it!!!  I frequently forward the messages to anyone else who sends them, so hopefully there are lots of Nigerians asking each other for money!

But there's a great website  www.419eater.com (419 is some kind of Nigerian law that these spammers are breaking) where a group of people reply to the emails and string them along, and get the spammers to do all sorts of odd things and pose for odd photos in order to prove their identity.  The 419eatesrs are always promising that they will send their bank account but they want the spammers to pose for a photo of their choice in order to satisfy themselves that they are dealing with someone.  Hence you will find photos of spammers holding signs saying "Elvis Lives" or someone with a bucket on his head and holding a fish to each ear .... great great fun and really worth a look!!

Even without any sort of spam filter, that's extraordinary.  Congratulations on being so popular.  I prefer to filter my own spam (as you appear to do) rather than leave it to my ISP or email providers but I've never managed to hit those dizzy heights. [blink]

Hi.

On my recent return from France, 14 days out there I had 1500 spam emails. could not believe it, I changed to my present company because the last one had the same problems, I had the complete inbox full, as I was deleting the emails it was filling up again, night mare.

I have a spam filter.

Colin

As the messages appear in a separate spam file I assume the ISP monitors them. Normally if there say 50 I can look through them(without opening them) to see if there may be any genuine messages, but with so many I could miss such messages.Slow morning so far only 192!

I would like to claim the prize [:D]

The last time I went to France for a month (April 2008) I came back to find that 14520 spam messages had been deleted by the Orange Spam filter - (any deleted message is kept for 30 days before being permanently retired). Luckily it seems to have calmed down since then, but I have seen an increase lately in French sourced spam, the reason for which is beyond me at the moment.

I would recomend spambayes.... It works with outlook very well....

I use it with thunderbird which works well but has its ups and downs...

p.s. The set up requires a bit of computer literacy.... but its worth it

osie

Archived