Complete France Forum

Re: What is the best legal and cheapest way of downloading music ?

[quote user="nectarine"]www.limewire.com is totally legal and free, there is some technicality in that you are not downloading music but 'sharing' it apparently (according to the site owners) ....  you have to download a bit of software and then search for the music or videos that you want.  It's very popular and easy to use.[/quote]

Torrents work in the same way, p2p sharing. But it is illegal if you are downloading copyrighted material.

They could cut down on piracy so easily if they sold movies and music at reasonable prices. I cannot justify paying €20 for a movie that lasts 90 minutes on average and will only be watched once or twice at best. Especially if you just need to wait a couple of years and record it free on tv. Make movies downloadable for about €3 with full features (ie proper surround sound etc) and I bet more people will be willing to part with their cash.

Books are far better value for money anyway. Cost a third of the price of a movie, last much, much longer, and utilise your imagination which will always be infinitely better than anyone can ever produce on the screen!

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's been proved time and time again that people ARE prepared to pay if the price is right but so far none of the big names have had the balls to try it but instead have concentrated on peeing off the paying punters with high prices and largely futile DRM which frankly is little barrier to any moderately experienced PC user and certainly none at all to any Pirate worth his salt.

Software manufacturers have only themselves to blame too. The vastly overpriced MS Office 2007 for instance is $397 from Amazon.com but £349 from Amazon.co.uk. The equally overpriced Photoshop CS3 is $641 against £500, Adobe Acrobat - $399 against £293, it just goes on and on.

Limewire, Kazaa and other common P2P services are but one method of illegal downloading but are for the nieve and uninitiated.

Fot those who know where and how to look there are literally thousands of sites from which just about anything can be downloaded directly and if you were to name me something you wanted I could pretty well guarantee that I could find it and have it downloaded within the hour [geek]

No, that is not an offer [:P]

Puzzled: If you are trying to find legal ways for kids to download music then you're probably wasting your time. No slur intended but they will likely already know exactly where to get what they want, yours may be perfect angels and pillars of virtue of course [;-)]

[quote user="Puzzled"]they aren't left completely unsupervised on it and they may well know the best way of getting what they want, but not in my house![/quote]Good for you, shame not all parents share your sense of responsibility [:D]

Archived