Complete France Forum

Emails with malicious attachments

There seems to be a new type of potentially damaging email doing the rounds.

Proporting to come from a courier company, commonly but not exclusively UPS, it says something along the lines of being unable to deliver a package and to download a copy of the invoice or a form to send them them to rearrange delivery - well unsurprisingly the attached zip file contains malware or a virus.

Of course this 'heads up' is totally rhetoric because we all know not to open unsolicited email attachments - don't we [blink]

Not necessarily Cat. Prevention is always better than cure. Virus and spyware protection are not perfect.

A new one arrived in my inbox today, pertaining to come from the Customs Office. Looks like the same, or a similar thing. I'm still half asleep (again I nearly clicked on it as I am still expecting something) but I noticed it was sent to my Australian email address with the item claiming to have been sent from France, this time on July 9. I don't live in Australia, but obviously the scammers don't know this.

[quote user="Cat"]But all our virus definitions are up to date, so it couldn't do any harm even if we were daft enough to open it, innit?  [Www][/quote]Oh you dreamer Cat [:D]

Even if kept bang up to date Antivirus programmes can only ever be reactive, that is to say you cannot protect against someting you don't know about. This is the fundamental essence of the war between the scum who produce the nasty stuff and the AV software writers.

Most AV programmes employ heuristics to try and predict and spot supicious behaviour based on previous patterns but this can only ever be partially effective.

User knowlege and vigilance should be the vital first link in the defences - which is why they so often fail [geek]

Archived