Complete France Forum

Troubles with Alice box wiFi

In spite of Alice having sent me a replacement box,  I still cannot get no less than THREE computers to link up to it via WiFi.   They'll do it once on set up,  but everafter they all resolutely refuse to join the WiFi network in spite of the fact that they can "see" it.   I have no problem with my old Club Internet box (no longer of course connected to the phone line);  the computers all seem happy with its WiFi.   Turning off the encryption makes no difference,  and I've checked that the MAC filter system is deactivated.

I will probably have another chat to Alice's helpline,  but I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to find an alternative solution.    A friend mentioned the idea of buying a separate router (Sisco was I think mentioned);   this would be plugged into the Alice box (which would go on providing the ADSL phone line and ADSL interface) but the "new" router would distribute the actual data to my computers,  using ethernet and WiFi.

Have I understood the idea correctly and is it feasible?   It would save a certain amount of bother,  luckily as a short term solution I brought a lot of CPC cables with me from Britain but the house will look like a spider's web if they become a permanent feature,  and the Alice box only has one ethernet output so I have to keep replugging.

Any ideas gratefully received,   specific gizmo recommendations would be very useful so I know what to order.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Have I understood the idea correctly and is it feasible?[/quote]

Yes and yes.

You need a wireless router rather than a wireless modem router -- the Alice box will be doing the modem bit and there's only room for one modem on the system.

Netgear WGR614 would do the job, at somewhere below 40 € (mail order, delivered).  You'll also get four Ethernet ports.  Cisco (née Linksys) would be a reasonable alternative, WRT150 or 160, for example, but that's a bit more costly at around 70 € (for no additional benefit, imo).

I have never had success with an Alice box that refuses to connect wirelessly: I know of users who have switched provider because the process became too painful.  To be fair, I also know users for whom wireless connection has worked first time.  All Alice boxes are not equal, that's for sure.  The one without the external wifi antenna (Sagem?) seems to be less robust than others.

To be honest I have never understood the logic behind the WiFi 'pairing' procedure with the Livebox. OK it's for security but no other manufacturer that I've come across uses such an obstructive, and it seems unreliable, method.

A while ago I reinstalled XP on a friends laptop after his HD failed and despite all efforts never did manage to get his WiFi working again. As it happened this was no real hardship as the laptop permanantly lives beside his Livebox anyway so he was perfectly happy with an Ethernet connection.

Said it before and will say it again, I'm soooo glad I don't use a Livebox [kiss]

[quote user="ErnieY"]...the WiFi 'pairing' procedure with the Livebox. OK it's for security but no other manufacturer that I've come across uses such an obstructive, and it seems unreliable, method.[/quote]

This is an Alice box, not Orange's Livebox, so pairing isn't the issue. Alice just requires the WEP key from the serial number label in the client machine, but hangs on DHCP negotiation (my analysis).

The Livebox pairing thing is even more rudimentary, using MAC address as a security feature -- completely useless other than guarding against accidental connection to the wrong network.  The destination MAC address is contained in every wireless data packet, unencrypted, and its discovery is trivial.

Alice's use of the WEP key is only marginally better as a security feature -- discoverable in less than a minute using common wireless tools -- but is probably retained for compatibility with some games consoles, unable to use more robust security technology (WPA/WPA2 is, in practical terms, uncrackable).

I'm very grateful chaps,  €40 is not the end of the world to rectify a problem which dogs an otherwise satisfactory service from Alice,  at least in comparison with Club Internet.   From a brief look at Alice/Sagem I did get the impression I was not alone.

I'll go after the Netgear,  to be further nuisance could you recommend a French supplier as I've only previously bought this sort of stuff in Britain.....

I've in fact found a a mail order supplier,  I hope this is the right item

http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Peripheriques-Reseaux-wifi/Routeur-WiFi/Routeur-sans-fil/NETGEAR/3118-WGR614-54Mbps-Routeur-sans-fil-haut-debit.htm#4

So presumably I use an ordinary ethernet cable to link the Alice Box o/p to the i/p on the Netgear and then go from there.   Is it easy to set up?   (If it isn't are you peeps going to give me a hand??!!)

Thanks again

Martin,

have you tried with another wifi adapter? not the netgear one you were using (I think?)

Can you borrow another one?  - just to test. It would be a shame to spend more on another bit if kit if the alice box doesn't like your adapter. I am using a belkin dongle with our Sagem Alice box  with no problems. I use Windows to connect rather than the belkin software. I know this has bugged you for a while. It seems strange that two boxes don't function properly.

Danny

Thanks bmt,  now ordered.

Danny - it is very odd,  but both Alice boxes also exhibit the strange anomaly that you can't turn off the WiFi in the 198.168.1.1 page - the blob should go red when you press desactiver but doesn't;  that was the clincher as far as Alice was concerned for taking back the original box,  now the second one has the same problem.  

In answer to your point I've in fact now got three cards or dongles in my various computers -  a D-Call AirCard,   a Belkin dongle,  and a Netgear dongle.   Curiously enough the Netgear/laptop did suddenly log on today just when I'd swapped for the umpteenth time between Windows-control and Netgear-control of the system,  without warning the Wifi dongle stopped its remorseless scanning and settled down for the day.   Most odd.   But that's the first time in ages.

If I don't get a result it's "only" €40 wasted!

Netgear new wireless non-modem router arrived this morning and now working very well,   installation guide clear even to idiots like me.

Laptop Wifi problem now resolved as it logs onto the Netgear network,  curiously Wendy's new Vista computer with dongle has suddenly started a Wifi affair with the Alice box,  having previously refused - after a first successful introduction - to have anything to do with her.   My view is that Alice has had such a fright finding a new Netgear router shoved up her outside source (sorry,  old broadcast terminology) that she's lost her inhibitions about allowing access to her intimate regions....  at least if it's Vista doing the probing.

Thanks to all who have helped to resolve my problems...

Just one quick (and I hope final) query on this subject:-

The Wifi light on the new Netgear WGR614 blinks slowly the whole time,  about once a second.   This differs from my Netgear wireless modem in Devon where the Wifi light is on continuously but flickers rapidly when data is moving about.   I can't find any reference in the manuals as to the significance of the slow blink,  and the Wifi appears to work normally.

Anyone able to enlighten me?

Thanks.

Archived