Complete France Forum

Problems recieving emails in UK sent via Orange France

Has anyone else had any problems recieving emails in the UK from people using Orange France as there ISP?

This has been going on (and sometime off) for about 6 weeks. I had a fixed ISP number for my email from Tiscali , people would send me emails and get a message along the lines of this is a blacklisted ISP number and get them returned, I can send them emails no problem. I spoke to Tiscali who says that there is no reson as far as they can tell why I should not be recieving these emails, but to be on the safe side I thought I'd change the fixed number to a variable one (sorry don't know the technical name for this) Of the 3 people who I new for a fact had sent me emails one now can but still nothing from the others. I don't really know what to do now as we are about to buy another house and need the email to transfer forms etc and as I'm not an Orange customer I don't seem to get any joy there. The people wo are Orange customers that I know well are technophobes so don't really know what to do.

Any ideas?[8-)]

Blacklisting occurs when an ISP has too many users who are sending out spam. Normally having a static IP address solves the problem as others cannot use it. Having a variable IP address means that you are more likely to share with someone who has sent spam. Spam is normally sent by a compromised computer where either the user has clicked on a deceptive email message or has visited a site which has then downloaded something nasty. I assume your antivirus is uptodate and you regularly check your computer!

If you have mail that really needs to get there and you are not sure orange is going to deliver it safely, why not set up an email account with gmail or hotmail and use your web browser to send and recieve the mail instead? Not quite as easy as your own account on outlook but very portable and easy to use anywhere in the world.

Most people using Orange as ISP who have problems with blocked emails are using port 25 for their outgoing mail.  Often they can fix this by changing the SMTP port to 587.

I don't know if there is anything you can do at your end.  You might try a Google search to see if any other Tiscali users have posted about this kind of problem.

Here's some general information on Email Ports and Mail Servers.

[:)]Thanks for the info, Its now down to just one person whose email I don't recieve who hadn't updated their virus protection and is still having loads of problems with their laptop, unfortunatly they are the ones who are the newest to email but I think a friend of thers is trying to help them. I'll forward the links to them as they can recieve my emails ok and see if their friend can fathom it out.

[quote user="Miss Babs"]

[:)]Thanks for the info, Its now down to just one person whose email I don't recieve who hadn't updated their virus protection and is still having loads of problems with their laptop, unfortunatly they are the ones who are the newest to email but I think a friend of thers is trying to help them. I'll forward the links to them as they can recieve my emails ok and see if their friend can fathom it out.

[/quote]

If the one remaining person is that clueless and his system possibly virus-infected, it may be just as well you haven't been receiving his emails.  [:D]

You might tell him to avoid sending you any links or attachments.

I'm really vigilent about it as my first name begins Ab I seem to get loads of spam or viruses, in my last job them help desk would ring me if something had made it through the main frame and hadn't managed to block it,  I also get loads of unwanted txts as I seem to be at the top of everyones address book! which is really anoying when I'm in France and have to pay for them!!!!! (I have sorted this with a bolt on from O2) anyway that's more relevant to another thread [;-)]

Archived