Complete France Forum

Loading a French laptop with an English version of XP

Just for your info, it is possible to do. Lynda's laptop needed formatting but her xp disc had a big scratch on it and wouldn't install. After a few hours fiddling, I ended up using another xp disc from one of our other laptops. This version is in English and allowed us to set our region and keyboard type during the install. And the bizarre thing was, it doesn't even need activating. Perhaps it's because I had the other laptop with the same XP install on running at the same time that fooled the system. But it all works and all updates have been acquired with no problems. The only time consuming thing I had to do was download all the required drivers and run them all manually once the install was completed.

We had originally been told (albeit by Darty) that installing an English XP on a French laptop ould seriously damage it (quite how they came to that conclusion, I don't know, but this is Darty).

We had originally been told (albeit by Darty) that installing an English XP on a French laptop ould seriously damage it (quite how they came to that conclusion, I don't know, but this is Darty).

I think that for the average Darty (or Comet) customer having to download all the required drivers and running them in manually is probably equivalent to serious damage!

Archived