Complete France Forum

Orange Livebox

Firstly what I currently have. I have a Novell 6.5 network for file sharing and couple of desktops hard wired in. I also have a hardwired ADSL router connecting the whole thing to the Internet. I have a big HP wireless printer so for this I have a wireless access point to the network and it also allows guest access to the network and then on to the Internet on a none secured link. This is because my server and computers run a secure Novell client so I don't have to worry about them seeing my data. All the hardwired stuff is connected via a central Cat5 multiport hub.

My ISP is Orange and I have no special software installed on my computers and we can all access the Internet via the ADSL router.

Now the server, desktop computers, printer and wireless access point are located on a different level in the house, downstairs to be exact. There is a phone extension to that area which allows the ADSL modem is plugged in.The house phone is plugged in to the main phone socket which is on the upper level and most convenient.

Now I am going to have a Livebox and things I guess will change.

I basically want things to stay as they are with the exception of having the VOIP phone which will have to be upstairs.

Do I have to install Orange software on to all my PC's to make the Livebox work?

If you have two ADSL routers can you connect both to the same phone line (the Livebox upstairs and the other left connected downstairs) and will they both function? In other words can I leave things as they are and just add the Livebox, turn off the Wifi on it and just plug in the phone to the Livebox?

Alternatively can you turn off the security on the Wifi side of the Livebox allowing everyone and any one to use it for the Internet. Will the live box also be able to communicate with the rest of the network via Wifi and the access point down stairs thus saving me from having to run a data cable down to my hub which is a very, very, difficult option.

Do you use ordinary phones with a Livebox?

Sorry for making this so long but I wanted to ensure I included everything.

I can answer two of the questions.

You don't need Orange software on your PCs, whatever Orange tells you. You can use Windows to connect, you just need the Livebox ID and security code (the Orange code is very long). In fact in my experience it's better not to use the Orange software. You need it on one PC for setting up the livebox - though there are probably clever ways of getting round this - but it can be deleted once the box is working.

And you can use any ordinary phone with the Livebox.

I would avoid putting Orange software on any PC. The livebox can be accessed by going to 198.162.0.1 in your browser and everything can be set up from there.

I do believe that we need a separate tread for the Livebox on this forum as it seems to cause more problems that it solves.

[quote user="Bob T"]I would avoid putting Orange software on any PC. The livebox can be accessed by going to 198.162.0.1 in your browser and everything can be set up from there.
I do believe that we need a separate tread for the Livebox on this forum as it seems to cause more problems that it solves.
[/quote]

BobT, did you mean 192.168.1.1 ??

Here is a useful guide for setting up the Orange livebox without the orange CD and software

http://www.dslvalley.com/dossiers/orange/livebox-orange.php

Danny

Archived