Complete France Forum

Two computers - only one internet connection

Currently hubby has a (pc) laptop connected via modem to internet.  (This is in France).  I am about to arrive with my Imac which will be situated in the next room (I hope) and would also want to connect it to the same internet connection if possible.  Mac has wireless, but no modem.  Not a tecchie, so not sure how it or if it will work, or what we need to do to make it work.  Would the wireless connect through the wall (as it were)?  Does the laptop need to be wireless enabled to do so?  Is there a better way (my experience of wireless in London is that it is a bit hit and miss).  I am assuming (never assume??) that the mac/pc problem is not really a problem.  Don't think it would be too much of a problem if we could not use the internet at the same time (but nice if we could).

Anybody out there able to advise??

Slightly unclear question Judith as the phrase 'connected via modem' is open to interpretation.

If you mean a dialup modem the only way you will be able to use your machine online at the same time is by having a physical wired connection (Ethernet) to hubby's laptop and sharing the connection on it. It would need to be permanantly turned on for this to work. It's so long ago that I did this that I'm not sure I could tell you how anymore how to set it up and definately know nothing about MACs.

If on the other hand hubby is connected via a broadband wireless router then not a problem, you just connect your MAC wirelessly as you would anywhere else.

There may possibly be a way to make both machines talk to each other via wireless and then shere the dialup modem but it would likely be a complicated process.

Ernie

Thanks, and sorry not to make it clearer.  I do not know exactly how he connects, but I'm fairly sure it is not dialup (we've both used online services from the late 70's-early 80's so we know what dialup is!), but it is not clear (and I got nowhere when I asked) whether his computer is wireless enabled and that he doesn't have it switched on, or that it isn't. Though I have seen a message about "sans fil" not connected.  He definitely uses it as wired as opposed to wireless, but what I don't know is if he does have wireless capability (but I suspect yes, see above) if he so chooses but doesn't use it. Looks like this will be a trial and error process,  and that exploring the wireless option is the way forward.

If I get time, I'll pop into the Mac shop in Regent Street (one of the few advantages of living in the West End now!), also and see if they come up with anything.

Many thanks

[quote user="Judith"]  I do not know exactly how he connects.[/quote]

Following on what Ernie said, Judith I suggest the above is the nub of

the problem.  Until you know that,  not even the Mac shop can help you

- other than giving a series of optional scenarios which, I think,

wouldn't take you much further forward.

[quote user="Judith"]Ernie

I'm fairly sure it is not dialup (we've both used online services from the late 70's-early 80's so we know what dialup is)

[/quote]

You used the internet (arpanet??) in the 70's? [:-))]

Wow, I didn't think anyone was using networks commercially until the late 80's.

[quote user="Cat"]

You used the internet (arpanet??) in the 70's? [:-))]

Wow, I didn't think anyone was using networks commercially until the late 80's.

[/quote]

My first remembered experience was in late 70's using an acoustic coupler to access online hosts, but online databases were first available in that sense first in 1969, with Dialog, which still exists as a host for many online databases.  It was not the internet, but direct connection to a host computer for which you paid by the second and by the amount you downloaded.  It has taken me years not to get on and offline quickly!.  It was not a network in the sense that most would think of today, but simply a direct access to a host computer, but you still needed the telecoms link to the outside world in exactly the same way that you do with accessing the internet.  I just was never  very good on telecoms!

[quote user="Weegie"][quote user="Judith"]  I do not know exactly how he connects.[/quote]

Following on what Ernie said, Judith I suggest the above is the nub of

the problem.  Until you know that,  not even the Mac shop can help you

- other than giving a series of optional scenarios which, I think,

wouldn't take you much further forward.

[/quote]

Weegie,

My guess is it is the standard way, in the same way as I do here, with an ethernet wire and modem.  We went to FT, ordered a line with adsl, came back with a box and he installed it, after some problems with FT not doing the right thing to the telephone line (sounds familiar).  I organised the line with him, but had come back to London before he installed it, hence my lack of knowledge.  But since I  have since installed my internet connection here with the mac, I can hardly belief he did much more than I did, though his computer knowledge goes back to mainframes, it was on the software side not hardware, which is why I don't get that much info when I ask.

How he connects is irrelevant to how you share.

How you share depends on how much faffing you want.

1) You could connect a wireless router to his modem. From that you can connect with wires  (ethernet) or wirelessly (your pc should pick it up through one normal wall)

2) You could replace his modem with a combined modem/router with or without wireless capabilities. Then as 1) above.

Bon Courage

[quote user="Owens88"]

How he connects is irrelevant to how you share.

How you share depends on how much faffing you want.

1) You could connect a wireless router to his modem. From that you can connect with wires  (ethernet) or wirelessly (your pc should pick it up through one normal wall)

2) You could replace his modem with a combined modem/router with or without wireless capabilities. Then as 1) above.

Bon Courage [/quote]

My point being that if she knows how he connects she can avoid any faffing.  She says "We went to FT, ordered a line with adsl, came back with a box ".  If it's a Livebox then she  already has a wireless router and only has to ensure the laptop is wireless capable.

Sorry not to get back the the last contributors before now, been busy trying to get a removal date (!!!!) and the meters "reserved" and that has taken all day (plus an eye test - new glasses hopefully will arrive before I leave in two weeks time!!.)

I am pretty sure it will not be a livebox, but then neither of us would know if it were.  My suspicion is that the computer is wireless enabled but he doesn't use it.  I suspect that all we can do is investigate and see what happens.  It may be that if we can turn on wireless on  his computer (I know how to on mine, no prob), we can then try and see if I pick up a signal.

I do like the suggestion in 2, so will keep in mind. 

Many thanks to all contributors, it looks as though it is possible, but we cannot determine how until we know the current set up, and I've other things to do in the next week.....before removals the week after.....

Merci

You should be able to set the internet connection on the laptop to share its connection with other users.

If hubbys laptop is running Windows XP  go into Network Connections, right click on the internet connection and choose Properties.

On the Advanced tab there should be an option to share the connection.

Once this is done you then have to get your Mac to connect to the laptop.  If the laptop is relatively new it will almost certainly have wireless incorporated in it.  Make sure its turned on and then use the New Network setup wizard to set up a wireless network.

My very limited experience of Macs is that they are far easier to get to see and connect to a wireless network than PCs so the odds are that your Mac will see the network straight away and connect.

I suggest you make sure that the wireless network is security enabled otherwise anyone within range will be able to connect.

If, as suggested previously hubby is actually connecting through a wireless router then the Mac should see it straight away.

Good luck with it

briwy

That is most helpful, and I am sure with those instructions I can sort it when I get there.  The lap top is 3-yrs old so should be wireless enabled I would think.  I last used windows 98 so I am woefully out of date with windows, so your instructions do help.  (And I never really got to grips with it after windows 3.1, which I quite liked!

I have been able to connect wirelessly here in London (lots of things to camp onto), so I am aware of the security problems, but thank you for mentioning it. 

I have a week to removals day, so back to the packing .....!

Many thanks to everyone.

• 1 month later...
Thanks to all who gave advice.  The outcome was that we needed a livebox, and it was installed today and here I am wirelessly connecting.  It was obvious after a couple of tries that the mac was not picking up the pc, and indeed it was hardwired and not wireless, so got a man in, and here I am - happy again!

Archived