Complete France Forum

Wifi printing via Livebox

I had the very briefest of conversations with someone at the weekend and they mentioned that they perform Wifi printing from more than one computer with their printer plugged into their Livebox.

Did I hear correctly and if so how do I do it (non-techy terms please but I understand terms such as USB etc.)?

Yes it is possible, but my setup isn't with the printer connected to the livebox, so I can only tell you how to set up on another compiuter on the network.

I have a desktop computer which is on 100% of the time and has a printer connected to that. The printer sharing is enabled on it (just go to your printed in control panel, right click the icon and select properties and there should be a sharing tab).

Then, on your other computers, go to control panel and select add printer. Go through the wizard and select network printer. Your printer should come up, select that, and the drivers will automatically be installed.

After that, you should be able to print wirelessly.

R.

Hi Benjimine, I postede this yesterday inthe "Connecting Phone to Livebox". It may help, but as far as I know it's only available in the U.K. at the moment. After all France is the owner of Orange and not the U.K.!!!

Using the printer with it connected to the main PC is OK if like you it is on all the time, but Liveprinter will be very handy for those who don't me thinks. If you look further on that forum there is one guy with 7, yes 7, PCs on ethrenet and 2 on wifi on his livebox. Lots of very good gen on there. Lots of tat too I think?

"I'm just waiting for 'Liveprinter' to become available here in France. The U.K. have had it for well over a year now! It means that you connect your printer to the USB connecter on the Livebox and configuer any of the PCs/laptops on the Livebox to use it as a local printer. Basics are that you don't need the main PC with the printer attached to be switched on to use the printer. But I suppose that this is France after all?

I have just found what looks like a mine of info on the livebox and most other things by the looks of it http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_topics.asp?FID=22 "

There are many printers on the market that connect to an ethernet port on any router. I have a B&W laser and a colour laser connected in this way. Any PC on the system, be it cabled or WiFi can print to either printer as if the printer was attached to the PC.

A common problem with some printers connected to a router print server is that you don't always get the full range of utilities as you would directly connected to a PC.

I had a Brother networked printer (until 'someone' managed to 'persuade' the wrong cartridge into it and broke it !) and all I could do was basic printing but it was useful all the same. I now have a WiFi printer and that certain 'someone' has her own completely separate USB one [kiss] [kiss]

Thanks to all for the replies.

LyndaandRichard

Creating the network looks to be a fairly complicated exercise for me and I don't fancy trying any sort of connection just by enabling as there are dire warnings of leaving your computer open to internet attack.

Jonzjob

Thanks for those links. A bit over my head some of that. I'll just wait and see if Orange France eventually comes out with Wifi printing as it was a UK based person who told me.

Archived