Complete France Forum

Internet connection problem (except wifi)

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this cry for help! 

I was using the internet (and Outlook Express) on my PC yesterday when suddenly the connection went.  I access internet via a Freebox which is clearly functioning as I am posting via my laptop's wifi connection to the Freebox.  I am not sure where to try looking on my PC in order to ascertain what the problem is.  I thought about rebooting the Freebox, but as it is working fine for wifi I am worried about losing that connection too. 

If anyone could me a few pointers as to what to try I'd be most grateful as, for a number of reasons, I still need to access internet via PC.  Also, am I right to assume that my @free.fr email address is only accessible via my PC?

Thank you so much in hope and anticipation.

CBC65

I presume your PC is connected to the Freebox via ethernet so can you access it by typing it's IP address into Internet Explorer. Commonly this is 192.168.1.1 but may be different so consult your paperwork.

If you cannot access it then check your connectors are firmly seated.

If you are using XP (not sure about Vista) go Start - Programs - Accessories - Communications - Network Connections.

What does it say against Local Area Connection ?

Whilst you're there right click on Local Area Connection then Properties then tick Show Icon in Notification Area.............this will give you an instant indication of whether your connection is OK or not.

Hello Ernie

I'm afraid that I don't have an ethernet connection, just a USB one.  All cables/connections seem OK.  I have run the Windows diagnostic which gives an AutoNet address, tries to renew it, but fails "with error 0x800705B4:  This operation returned because the timeout period expired". 

Re. LAC:  it is called Local Area Connection 7 (why 7??) and have run the repair option ("renewing your IP address").  The status bar indicates Local Area Connection 7 is connected at speed of 10.0 Mbps (does that seem very low?).  Still no connection to internet or email.

Thanks for your help so far.

CBC

[quote user="ErnieY"]Glad you're up and running but I have to say that a USB connection to a WiFi router is a new one on me, as is an 'Autonet address' [8-)]

[/quote]

My speedstream WiFi router had a usb connection as an alternative to the usual ethernet sockets, I never used it though.

Ernie and Bugbear

Ooh er, am I a special case?  The sockets at the back which I use are labelled ADSL, USB, and Telephone.   There is an ethernet socket, but Free have never supplied a cable for it, I've just used what they supplied.  The WiFi 'card' goes in the side.  Does that explain/make any sense?  The 'Autonet address' is what the Windows Diagnostic Log quoted and is in the usual IP address format.  Oh, well ...... 

And Bugbear, be nice to me:  I'm a lady biker and a very happy Mac user at work!! 

Thank you again, you are both really helpful, I have benefited from advice (and humour) in many of your other posts. 

CBC65 (not a new member, by the way, had to re-register this morning as couldn't remember login stuff)

Use the ethernet connection, it is much better and more reliable than USB. A cable is not expensive to buy.

Be nice? ..........I'm nice to almost everybody but as a fellow biker and a Mac user, well I promise to be especially nice.............................[:D][kiss]

Gary.

[quote user="Bugbear"]Be nice? ..........I'm nice to almost everybody but as a fellow biker and a Mac user, well I promise to be especially nice.............................[:D][kiss][/quote]You're just a cheap tart Gary [:'(] [:P] [:D]

I don't dispute what you say CBC65, or you Steve, I do however completely fail to see the point of having both USB and Ethernet connections to a router and cannot think of one single advantage of using USB, but definitely some disadvantages. Most significantly is that you will have to install dedicated drivers and software to configure it [geek]

Archived