Complete France Forum

Dell laptop decisions warranty UK only-what to do?

Oooerr, what shall I do?? Spoke with dell UK see thread - no intergrated web cam , still under UK warranty . They have agreed its a disconnection within laptop. They suggest either return it to someone in UK , they will then collect it and fix it under warranty and check for any other issues. Or whilst in France contact Dell but I will have to pay for it being fixed as it does not have International Warrenty. I asked how much to take out International warrenty - £94 for 2 years but it would not cover the present issue!!. Decisions, decisions. What would you advise.?If I send it back to daughter in Cornwall then  to be collected by Dell could you advise a good courier service from France to Uk Please. Mrs MBK

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Frankly 94 quid for an international warranty is a rip off.[/quote]All insurance is completely wasted money until the day you need it but I'm not sure I'd be so dismissive in this instance.

£94 over 2 years is about 90p/wk or, if you prefer, about €1, and seen in the context of difficulties MBK now faces in having to send it back to UK and have it returned not bad value IMO. Remember, because of the regional differences repairs may not be as straightforward as if it were a French model and in fact it wouldn't surprised me if, under the international warranty, Dell France wouldn't just send it back to UK for repair anyway.

[quote user="ErnieY"] it wouldn't surprised me if, under the international warranty, Dell France wouldn't just send it back to UK for repair anyway.

[/quote]

Exactly.  I'm surprised that you have to pay extra that's all. 

I'm pretty sure that my Samsung/Sony/aiwa/you name it stuff comes with worldwide warranty included and a great list of numbers to call in just about any country if things go wrong and you arrange with a local centre for repairs.  If they choose to send the item elsewhere then that's up to them isn't it?

Why surprised Pierre ?

Domestically Dell will collect, repair and then return it, job jobbed.

Internationally they will collect, send it to it's place of origin for repair, then have it sent back, and then return it. It's the bit in the middle your international warranty is paying for. For some faults of course it may not be necessary to repatriate it but the international warranty is priced for situations where it is, it would hardly be practical to do otherwise.

Your 'Samsung/Sony/Aiwa/you name it stuff' is generally non country specific so can more easily be repaired locally of course.

MBK: If/when you do send it off make sure you save whatever is precious or irreplaceable because as often as not they will wipe it and put it back to as it was 'out of the box.

MBK,

I posted a laptop back to the UK from the post office by Collissimo, cost  was 37Euros, this included insurance valued at 750Euros. Weight was 5.5 kg.

Incidently, the laptop was an Acer 7720g, bought from PC World (UK)

I understood that the unit had an European guarantee, but this was not the case, Acer sells to PCW without a manufacturers guarantee, so if anything goes wrong, only PCW will repair it FOC. Yes I did check the pc in the UK; all was OK until the next day when I returned to France. After much ‘discussion’, PCW sent me a replacement, the same problem occurred, so another 37 Euros sending it back.

All in all not a good experience not to mention 74 Euros in postage.

A quote from DHL was in the region of 120Euros

Archived