Complete France Forum

Live box replacement

We have ADSL with Orange. We use the livebox as supplied, internet only, no TV. We have the normal landline as well.

The livebox seems to be dropping off line with increasing frequency, sometimes after only a few minutes of use. SWMBO tells me that 'everyone seems to be having the same problem' so she has not complained to FT about it.

Is it possible to use, instead of the livebox, an existing Siemens Speedstream router and if so, is it likely to make any difference to the drop out rate?

Agreed, we have 1 meg here - nowhere near fast enough for TV and we have our own arrangements for telephone so I wasn't too bothered about getting a live box. So I use my Netgear modem/router and it works just fine.

Regards - Tim

This problem is quite common, but that does not mean that it is ok.

Just complain (online) until is is solved. As almost all other modem/routers perform better than the livebox you may try the Siemens, but it is their problem to solve especially when you pay 3 euro per month for the non-functioning livebox. Maybe you'll get the new livebox mini that is supposed to perform better.

The Orange TV service is not restricted to high ADSL bandwidths via an internet connection. The Orange TV service is also available from two satellites using a decodeur supplied with the rest of the kit.

The connection and installation of the Samsung SH 85 "white box" is given on the folowing link; http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u=http%3A//assistance.orange.fr/3072.php%3Fdub%3D2%26

Some newly arrived Australians in the village have chosen this alternative and have sucessfully installed it using a pre -existing parabolic dish and LNB; the Samsung SH 85 "white box" requires to be connected to the "yellow" LAN port on the V.2 mini livebox; this achieved using CPL plugs with LAN connection tags which are supplied by Orange FT rather than an RJ 45 ethernet cable.

Archived